Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,726   Posts: 1,515,059   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THERMOMETERS

Shooter
    35mm

THERMOMETERS

Decades ago my father gave me a 'refrigeration' thermometer that has served me well. It is about 6 inches long, filled with mercury, and has (important here) a metal tip at the bottom which quickly registers temp change in a liquid. It is quite accurate and very consistent. Since the advent of 'no mercury' it has been very difficult to replace this fine, simple instrument. I hope it does not break. I also have a Kodak process thermometer which I rarely use because of its extreme fragility and bulk. It serves as a good 'reference'.

My question is this: with thermometers serving so very many uses in our world, where is the 'best' place to seek a similar thermometer like my 'refrigeration' one? I do not really like the 'glass enclosed', cheap thermometers that used to be sold for darkroom work because, without the metal tip at the bottom, the time it takes to read a temperature is too long. Assuming that one does not need 'within 0.5 degrees Fahrenheit' accuracy, just consistency, ease of use, and quickness of ability to register change, WHAT might one seek and WHERE might one look? Walking into a Walmart forces one to look in divers departments (home, kitchen, pharmacy; the list goes on).

Life used to be easier before 'restrictions' took hold. (I have hoarded 400 100 Watt light bulbs!) - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 01-09-2012 at 08:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Bed, Bath, and Beyond" is my personal favorite darkroom supply store. Every time I go in, I find a new toy. The Polder brand of thermometers is serving me well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't help you with a metal-tip refrigeration thermometer, but I can suggest that you go to a simple $10 digital unit. The ones I buy at Wal-Mart (kitchen section, incidentally) have been wonderful: they read instantly and if they get wet, you just let them dry out and they keep working. I've checked them against some very precise lab thermometers and the cheap models are either spot-on, or accurate to within 1/10th of a degree (I have four). That's close enough for me. I've got a nice analog thermometer (Kalt, I believe) that I never use...it's just not as user-friendly.

I've got a few incandescent bulbs as well, but I've pretty much switched over to the ultra-warm CFL's or LED units. We just have enclosed-bulb fixtures that temper the light to non-migraine-inducing levels. Good light, saves energy, saves money...win, win, win.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try ebay. I recently bought an old mercury thermometer there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mercury thermometers can be had here:
    http://shop2.chemassociates.com/page530.html
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Mercury thermometers can be had here:
    http://shop2.chemassociates.com/page530.html
    530 pages!? Now that's a catalog. I remember in high school looking through the Cencor catalog like it was the Sears catalog.

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the $10 digital cooking thermometers.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Second the vote for a digital cooking thermometer (got mine at Walmart)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The $7 indoor/outdoor ones work well, remove the plastic housing on the exterior probe and paint 6" of the wire and the thermistor with liquid electrical tape. Harbor Freight have a SS probed digital refrigeration style one as well. On sale even.

http://www.harborfreight.com/instant...ter-95382.html

Print the ad and take it to your local store to make sure you get the sale price.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Kodak process thermometer. It serves as my calibration standard. I store it carefully (upright) at the back of a closet, with protection around it.

I use a $15.00 digital thermometer - one with a probe at the end of a cord. I check that thermometer against my calibration standard.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin