Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,842   Online: 799

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

what went wrong with this film? asking for advice how to prevent this...

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to this site. I have been reading various threads for some time now and I have to say that I have found it to be very helpful and informing.

I came upon a problem which is a first for me (i haven't been developing my own films for a long time now).
    I have followed the below procedure which has caused this fogging problem shown at the attached image.
    This was the first time I tried to do a stand development process (if you can call this that):

Film - Kodak TRI-X 400 at 800
    Developer - Agfa Rodinal 1:100
    Duration - 1 hour (Stand developed) at 20°C

Process:
    1) Prewash: 3 minutes (at 20°C), development at 20°C.
    2) 30 seconds mild agitation at the beginning, then 5 seconds gentle agitation every 30 minutes.
    3) Wash film 2-3 times.. i.e. filling tank with water, agitating and then throwing away
    4) Adding fixer and mild agitation every 30 seconds for 4-5 minutes
    5) Finally following the Ilford environmentally friendly process of film washing procedure + one final wash with Ilfotol to prevent water stains.

Negatives were great after coming out of the tank - they became all foggy the next day (I don't mind the way the attached image looks, it kind of works for me to be honest. However I would prefer that I knew what I was doing so that these things shouldn't happen unexpectedly).

Now the thing is I know I am not doing this the proper way - have to say that I don't really worry about archival matters i.e. preserving my negatives for more than 5 years. Besides the first 2 steps of the above procedure the rest is what I allways do for developing my films and have to say that all past negatives still look great.

If you have any tips on how to do this properly, either by using more chemicals (hopefully less water) I would appreciate it if you could help out.

Thanks,
    Mario
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails std.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Your fixer may be bad. Was it fresh?
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Insufficient fixing!
    Put it back into the fixer and fix for at least 7 mnutes. Leaving it in the fixer for one hour or two will NOT damage your film.
    Fix for at least twice the time it takes for the film to be clear.

If that is 10 or 15 minutes doesn't matter. It requires that time.
    When the time to clear the filme is 5-10 minutes or so, it's time to mix a new fixer.
    TMax requires longer time that conventiional films.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    Your fixer may be bad. Was it fresh?
    I guess so. I mixed it couple of days before and used it to develop 2 films the night before.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronds View Post
    Insufficient fixing!
    Put it back into the fixer and fix for at least 7 mnutes. Leaving it in the fixer for one hour or two will NOT damage your film. Fix for at least twice the time it takes for the film to be clear.
    By "clear" you mean the washing step after using the developer?
    Leaving it in the fixer is sufficient? Or should I agitate?

Thank you all for the quick replies btw.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is difficult to work out what went wrong but reading your process I can't see anything wrong there. If the fixer is exhausted then any milkiness would show on removal after washing.

You show part of the film but does this kind of effect show up over all the frames? I can't even tell what the scene is. Whatever happened, development only seems to have affected a small part of these negatives

Could the film have kinked badly in the reel so the developer never properly covered all the negs.

Have you used this same procedure successfully with other film?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    I have just read some posts that i couldn't see when replying but fixing two films only wouldn't have exhausted your fixer and as I said any milkiness from exhaisted fixer would shown on removal from the reel but you are saying that the film was fine but went like this the next day.

So every neg was properly developed and showed detial in every section of the frames until the next day?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yep more fix.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by seethroughdog View Post
    By "clear" you mean the washing step after using the developer?
    Leaving it in the fixer is sufficient? Or should I agitate?

Thank you all for the quick replies btw.
    No.
    Clear means when the fixer has cleared the milkyness of the film. When the film base looks clear.

Some agitation in the fixer helps the process, but it will be fxed anyway.

A fixer mixed two days ago and used for two films is plenty good for at least 7 films more over a period of several months.
    Insufficient time in the fixer is the cause of this problem.

Fix it again. Overfixing is only possible if you leave the film in the fixer for a day or more, so don't even take that into concideration.

Trond

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I have just read some posts that i couldn't see when replying but fixing two films only wouldn't have exhausted your fixer and as I said any milkiness from exhaisted fixer would shown on removal from the reel but you are saying that the film was fine but went like this the next day.

So every neg was properly developed and showed detial in every section of the frames until the next day?

pentaxuser
    Yep, every negative was fine until next day. Marks show on every frame.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin