Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,951   Online: 1065

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The humidity goes up and down as well, and my point was that we don't know!!!!

PE
    The amount of temperature and humidity in a freezer is well-controlled within a very limited range; many factors less variance than the external environment. Freezer systems meet health and safety guidelines and regulations for food safety. Film is likely the least perishable, least organic item in most domestic freezers. Freezers simply reduce environmental volatility and are the most controlled environment in homes.

Again, the anecdotal evidence is very strong that freezers are a safe place to store film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is evidence that the fluctuations in temperature and humidity can cause spots on film or film that sticks to itself. This is due to humidity primarily along with temperature changes.

If you look at a sealed bag of some moist product that has been frozen, you will see water accumulate in the container. It is coming form the product and is causing freezer burn. This happens on a micro scale with moisture and organics in film! It can hurt film. See the word "CAN" in that sentence. It can hurt film. Not "WILL" or "MUST".

So, you buys your ticket and takes your chances.

Best of luck.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

Recently posted

http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1282439

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...42&postcount=8

I should append to the second link (which is in a thread specifically related to Kodak discontinuations) that Fuji 120 and sheet film, Kodak 120 film and Ilford 120 film also come from the factory in vapor-seal inner packaging that's safe for placement into freezers.

Anyone wanting more information about cold storage should read Wilhelm's opus:

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html

Chapters 16, 19 and 20 are most relevant if you'd like to minimize download size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are more than 10 pages of extant threads on APUG dealing with freezer storage of film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    Again, the anecdotal evidence is very strong that freezers are a safe place to store film.

Until you've had some film ruined in the freezer. That would be actual physical evidence contradicting your hypothesis.

One counter example disproves the hypothesis (period, end of story).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Until you've had some film ruined in the freezer. That would be actual physical evidence contradicting your hypothesis.

One counter example disproves the hypothesis (period, end of story).
    Not true. A single data point is itself a variable and could be a contraindication based on an uncontrolled event.

Basic stats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Twinkies ARE the source of cosmic rays.

When I was in school our beta counter was surrounded by 6 inches of lead. While this amount of lead reduced background radiation it had no effect on reducing cosmic rays. For that you you would need a thickness of many meters of lead shielding.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-12-2012 at 09:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    Not true. A single data point is itself a variable and could be a contraindication based on an uncontrolled event.

Basic stats.
    nice try....I'm not taking the bait.

(PhD. Stats.)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Waste Isolation (Plant/Project/?) New Mexico or Nevada. Store atomic waste in a salt mine. This was maybe 10 years ago, possibly more. I'm sure someone will correct me. (Oh, and I do remember "Wip Inflation Now!". Just wish I had kept my lapel pin.)

s-a
    It's actually WIPP, located outside of Carlsbad, NM. And, yes, they are storing nuclear waste on a daily basis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Until you've had some film ruined in the freezer...
    Have you had any ruined that way? If so, what film was it, i.e. how was it packaged while in a freezer?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin