Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,641   Online: 854

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Freezer film storage

Suppose you were going to build a small, lead-shielded film storage box in your freezer in the shed. Anybody know how thick the lead would have to be to stop your typical cosmic ray? A couple mm's enough?

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nope. Cosmic rays are mostly high-energy protons, which can penetrate multiple centimeters of lead. (Various citations available through Google, largely scientific papers from the 1930s when there was a bit of a boom in cosmic-ray research, but most of them are pay-per-view for the details. The abstracts usually contain vague statements like "not much loss of energy".)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not needed to do anything but keep unopened film in the freezer. If the film has been opened, put it in a zip lock freezer bag at room temperture first.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The bottom drawer of the fridge has always been completley satisfactory for my needs. Ther is certainly no need to freeze film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The only way from keeping your film from being degraded by cosmic rays is to move it to a different dimension, where cosmic rays don't exist.

I have used frozen film 30 years old, and it had no age degradation. It was stored locally in the Seattle area, in a normal freezer. I really suspect cosmic rays have little to do with film degradation, and more to do with local background radiation. I'm guessing that film storage in Nevada is a serious problem.

What film are you trying to store?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    3' of earth is equivalent to quite a bit of lead or steel for shield from cosmic rays. google and wikipedia it.... However, storing material underground could also expose it to radon or mineral radiation and potential flooding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A salt mine is ideal!

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    The only way from keeping your film from being degraded by cosmic rays is to move it to a different dimension, where cosmic rays don't exist.

I have used frozen film 30 years old, and it had no age degradation. It was stored locally in the Seattle area, in a normal freezer. I really suspect cosmic rays have little to do with film degradation, and more to do with local background radiation. I'm guessing that film storage in Nevada is a serious problem.

What film are you trying to store?
    OK everybody, I get the drift It's Tri-X, and it's going in the freezer because there's not enough room in the fridge. Point well taken, PE, but people didn't trust the WIP very much either, did they.

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since there are about 30 acronyms using WIP, which one of them did you mean to refer to? I take "Weapon Impact Point" Kinda nice or perhaps "Women in Photography", as it is more on-topic.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder if a thick layer of Twinkies could stop cosmic rays.

It could kill two birds with one stone .

What do you think, PE?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin