Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,531   Posts: 1,543,974   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forte back and forth again

Any comments on this thread and the availability of Forte? (film and paper)

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic/499976.html

This is getting depressing

J&C? Anyone? or is it just one more anxiety inducing rumour....

A friend was talking to Lee Friedlander the other day and his advice was buy a big freezer and fill it with enough film for the rest of your life!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to a posting on the Dutch forum the importer of Forte products in the Netherlands says the decision to restart production will be taken within two weeks from now.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    Any comments on this thread and the availability of Forte? (film and paper)

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic/499976.html

This is getting depressing

J&C? Anyone? or is it just one more anxiety inducing rumour....

A friend was talking to Lee Friedlander the other day and his advice was buy a big freezer and fill it with enough film for the rest of your life!
    Forte got into the same financial hole Ilford did by selling film at sometimes cost or less just to keep the production going so the workers would have something to do. Some very large retailers pushed them over the edge by dangling the we'll buy a boat load of film from you but this is going to be the price carrot. Forte bit and the rest is history.

Traditionally we bought small batches from Forte very often. They are rethinking this approach and in the future orders will have to be large and placed well in advance.

In addition, prices will go up if they are to survive. 4x5 sheet film at $8 a box isn't going to happen any more. Granted there are still boatloads of the stuff out there at $8 but eventually they will be sold and expire. In the future I would expect the price for these films to be at least 50% higher.

If Forte and the receivers believe they can make a market out of these new realities there is an excellent chance they will go forward. The new reality is that the price wars for B&W film need to end and the manufacturers, be they Forte, Ilford or anyone else need to make money selling the stuff.

Forte film does not age well even in a big freezer. What you'll have in 5 years is lots of foggy film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    At 50% more, it's still a good deal and still a good film.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I pay approx $25 a box for 25 sheets of HP5+. Even $16 a box for Forte film is still excellent value as far as I am concerned.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Bah. Just as Forte become my new favourite paper, they go out of business.

Does anyone have any idea how long this paper will keep, or its future availability?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Had an email last week, and a letter today, from Fotoimpex in Berlin.

They had a delivery from Forte last week. However they haven't the sizes of Polywarntone FB I wanted yet.

I did put in a reasonable sized order, of 12"x16" (30x40cm approx) and metre wide rolls. hopefully they will arrive at some stage, could use them over Christmas :-)

So this is new prodution sind Photokina !

Max

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Exactly what David and Adrian said... I would (and will) still buy it at that price.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For what it might be worth, I would also like to state that I will always be willing to pay even a much higher price for good quality paper and film as long as the quality and service are consistent. I hope that the number crunchers are not comparing the overheads of these operations against digital choices. In other words they might think that digital systems have become efficient enough to make their product obsolete. But I am hoping that there are enough other people like me who are willing to pay much higher prices to continue with film.

Tim R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tim I'm very much with you. Over the last few years we have enjoyed relatively low prices for our materials and to an extent our equipment. If we have to pay more realistic prices from now on to be able to keep using the things we love then so be it. Might mean we have to use our materials more efficiently and with less wastage but it will be worth the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin