Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,955   Posts: 1,558,035   Online: 1114

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

User Comments on Adox Fine Print Variotone Premium VC FB Warmtone

I did a google search on this paper but not many posts were useful. My old favorites where PWT, Oriental and Begger WT. I liked how those papers could be made to cool off in KRST giving mushroom highs and with slight cool tints in the shadows. Ilford's fiber WT is a fine paper but I prefer a less buff base tint and wished it toned like my old favorites. Does the Harman produced ADOX Variotone require a red safelight? How does the emulsion tint compare to Ilford's FB WT? Any opinions on Adox's toning and contrast range?
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 01-11-2012 at 06:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Well, my personal experience is limited. It is very warm, like PWT but I have no comparism to Ilford WT.
    It has been designed for good toneability and during a test in Selenium it toned like hell.
    The base is white and bright.

Wolfgang Moersch (who was involved in the design) has sample photos here: http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/co...galerie/variot
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My standard paper is Ilford MGWT. I bought a 25 sheet pack of 8 x 10 when the Adox first came out to compare.

At the time my paper developer was Ethol LPD diluted 1:2. I found that the two papers were practically identical in image sharpness and for all intents an purposes identical.

To my eyes the Adox was slightly cooler than the MGWT. I think part of the reason was the bright white base. As I am looking for a warmer image and don't mind the buff colored base I have continued to stick with the MGWT

Hal

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hal and Andreas

I'm very familier with Ilford FB WT. To my eye the image color is not the same as Forte PWT or Bergger WT. PWT easily toned to a chocolate yet was flexible to cool off in KRST. If the Adox emulsion on a white paper base can be toned slightly cooler than Ilford WT I'll be happy. Andreas comment on tonability is a positive.

Hals comments are interesting. I also use LPD, 130, or sometimes Arista Premium vs Dektol. LPD is my 130 substitute when working at cooler temps. 130 is sluggish at 20c. Hal, Oriental Warmtone and Fomatone MG Classic 133 are warmer (more yellow) than Ilford WT.

Research indicates contrast steps on Adox Variotone Premium is very similar to Ilford's filtration.

I assume Variotone Premium is OC safe since Freestyle does not specify a red safelight?? Adox Fine Print Vario Classic requires red per Freestyles catalog. I wonder who coats Vario Classic?
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 01-12-2012 at 09:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    AFAIK Adox Vario Classic is Efke Varycon.
    Can't comment on the safelight since I use pure red (LED).
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    My 25 sheet test pack from Freestyle arrived this weekend. There were no instructions provided inside the package but the label identifies a red or orange safe light.

The un-toned emulsion color appears more similar to Forte PWT than Ilford WT. When toning in fresh KRST 1:15 the paper toned rapidly (90 to 120 seconds) to its first visible change. Low tones slid towards a cool eggplant while higher tones retain a warmer tint. This toning characteristics reminds me of Forte, Bergger and the older Oriental WT.

I only enlarged one image and at this point am only giving first impressions.
    RJ

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin