Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,709   Online: 968

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berg Toners

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Berg Toners

A couple weeks ago I tried toning for the first time. I used some Berg Copper/Brown toner. Things went very smoothly actually, which sort of surprised me. Does anyone have any experience/comments on this or other Berg toners? I haven't noticed any staining or anything of the sort, so I'm assuming that I must be washing and handling my prints fairly well eh?

I did tests on Ilford MGIV fiber and then toned a few prints to see what would happen. I even through in an 11x14 Ilford RC print I made just to see what would happen. It toned very well too much to my surprise. I must have used non-hardening fixer which I've recently switched to. Thanks all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Copper and blue toners work very well with RC papers. Its selenium that tends not to show much colour shift.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Selenium doesn't shift the ilford papers much (except for WT) but it does a great job in AGFAs
    Mama took my APX away.....

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    paper type, developer and fixers will influence the toning process.
    Berg toners are not my favorites, they tend to dye prints (check their yellow and green toners).

Fotospeed makes some nice copper toners.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    tim rudman has a book called "the photographer's toning book: the definitive guide" published by amphoto books. it's a very soild book to have if you're interested in toning. there are toning formulas as well as examples of manufactures toners, different types of toners with different papers, charts, test strirps, ect. there's a tone of info in his book as well as photographic examples to back them up.
    here's a link to amazon.com where you can glance through the book-
    check it out if you can
    tomtom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have some Berg copper/brown toner but I haven't tried it yet. I bought a mess of toners to try after reading Rudman's book. I've tried the Photographer's Formulary copper toner and wasn't real impressed with the pink tones I got on Ilford WT fiber. I played with it combined with sepia toner and got some interesting effects.

After playing with toners, I came to the conclusion that the more subtle the color, the better I like it. A touch of Kodak brown toner, a little Rapid Selenium or Nelson gold really makes a nice picture glow. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing, in my estimation.

If you can find it somewhere, Emmet Gowin's book "Changing the Earth" has some of the best examples of well done toning I've ever seen. The photographs are all aerial landscapes and they are gorgeous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So far my only experience with Berg toners is limited to their Selenium toner on Azo paper. A great combination that brings prints developed in Neuatol-WA or Rodinal to dead neutral while increasing dmax slightly.

I haven't tried letting a print sit in the toner for longer than it takes to get the print to neutral. I suspect that toning for a very long time might lead to some eggplant-ish coloration, but I have not verified this.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    if you leave the print in the selenium for extended time a re-verse effect begins to take place.

Check out Les's information about toning in selenium for 1 hour and then gold for 90 minutes, interesting results. That is just the time that i used it can vary. experiment and have fun, you never know what you might come up with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tip Ann...I shall try this. Of course, this means I'll have to put up with the smell of this stuff for that long...no mean feat in it's own right. :-)
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    put a tray in some out of the way location, not necessary the printing side of your darkroom set up. pop in a print, go away and work on other things. No need to baby sit the toning process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin