Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,298   Online: 843

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Old Glycin- useable?

I bought 100g of Glycin from the Formulary about two years ago and never got around to using it. I emailed them and was told it is only generally good for 6 months, and that one can tell by the color- brownish means its done-for. Well, I don't want to open it just to inspect it since that would expose it to light and air and moisture, etc.

I hate to just throw this out if it is useful at all to someone.

Anyone who is familiar with using Glycin and wants this can have it for $5 shipping (USA- NO Paypal!) Otherwise, it goes into the trash...

Keith Ostertag

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glycin1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	44300
    Keith Ostertag
    keitho at strucktower dot com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience is NO. Glycin has a very, very short shelf life. I've made the mistake of buying a large jar of it once. In no time it went from light tan, to dark, earth colored powder. I used it to mix up a batch of paper developer, but it flat out didn't work. At least that's been my experience. I now buy it in small quantities when I want to use it. Photographers Formulary sells it in small bottle of 10 grams, which I usually purchase at B&H. Store it in the dark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, thanks for the confirmation (sigh...)
    Keith Ostertag

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Storing in the freezer does extend its life some. So does making a large batch of Ansco 130. I've had the developer keep for over a year.

I would open the package and look before you toss it, or waste the money shipping it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Keith,

Perhaps you may find it useful to review my experience with long-term storage of glycin powder?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Glycin will desintegrate under oxygen. I use butane (campingas) to keep the oxygen from glycin. In this way glycin can be used for years.

Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, seems we have a range of opinions...

I just opened it.

Brown.

Tossed.

Thanks for your replies.

Keith Ostertag
    Keith Ostertag

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I'm not too late... old glycin CAN make a warmtone print dev. I've taken VERY old glycin (looked like Hershey's instant milk powder) and made it into Ansco/Agfa 130. The prints came out with a brown tone. Good for certain shots; womens portraits, old buildings, anything you might want warm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have old glycin
    under the kodak name of athenon
    probably from the early 70's if not 60's

I used some about 2 years ago to make a glycin only film developer
    It developed the film and the film was actually pretty sharp. Sharper than d23 and I think xtol also using a handheld microscope to judge
    very warm toned brown, though. I never printed them. I think I recently threw those film dev. test negatives out

I tried using some recently as a glycin only print developer
    NOTHING
    don't know.
    try a different jar one of these days

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Boy my experience with old glycin in paper developer was a total fail. It just didn't work. Good thread this, learned a few things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin