Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,010   Online: 1039

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Don,

nice ir shot. Makes me want to go shoot more HIE.

Tammy,

I concur with Don on the pmk. I develop a little longer, but use a little cooler temp. It comes out in the wash.

I would suggest not using your in-camera meter. It isn't calibrated for IR. Follow Don's suggestion: on a sunny day, through a red 25, f11 and 1/125s. Bracket slower if you feel you need to, like f11 and 1/60s, but it's generally spot on.

Good luck!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammyk
    Don,

What do you rate the film at using these camera settings, if you don't mind? I've seen anywhere from 200 to 320.

I have pyrocat- HD on the shelf also. And always plan to get more. I haven't tried PMK for anything. Is there a time difference, I wonder?
    Tammy,

I don't meter at all, I just shoot by eye, after using the film for a while you realize that there are about 5 different lighting situations so metering becomes needless. I have often thought of constructing a IR meter but never have.

I think Pyro-Cat is radically different enough from PMK that I can't give you a direct conversion, I use Pyro-CAT almost exclusively now but I've not exposed any HIE in over 2 years. I would recommend the 1:2:100 dilution and reduce development by 15% from my PMK time. I would also recommend trying 2:2:100 dilution and see what that yields.

One point I didn't make about using Pyro with HIE is that it pretty much eliminates bullet proof highlights. To get adequate exposure in deep shadows a healthy exposure is often needed and the pyro helps to tame the highlights in this case.

I just wish Kodak still manufactured HIE in 4x5 and 8x10. Sigh!

Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an old Kodak 2D. Yes, too bad no IR in 8x10. Can't imagine the cost of blowing through a box of that... (but what fun, I'm sure!!)

Thanks for the tips!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Don,

How many pinholes would you like with your 8x10 hie?

I shoot the Maco in 8x10 and 12x20. But I have to use the 89b filter and rate the film for 1/2 asa to get any shadow detail with the dark filter.

The maco stuff is pricy too. $20 a sheet for 12x20.

I also know Maco is working on yet another IR film to be out next year.

Robert
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    Don,

How many pinholes would you like with your 8x10 hie?

I shoot the Maco in 8x10 and 12x20. But I have to use the 89b filter and rate the film for 1/2 asa to get any shadow detail with the dark filter.

The maco stuff is pricy too. $20 a sheet for 12x20.

I also know Maco is working on yet another IR film to be out next year.

Robert
    Robert,

Pinholes on sheet film are easier to deal with than 35mm film. Yes?

I've not tried the Maco sheet film, if they can produce something close to HIE I might be interested.

Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammyk
    No, JP, you are not late. I haven't shot the roll yet.

I really appreciate the feedback. My local shop only sells D76 in a powder to make up a gallon. So, I was rethinking having another gallon of stuff on the shelf. On the other hand, I may enjoy it so much that I'll blow through it in no time!

Kathy, your IR work is amazing. Hoping that I will have some success as well.

Thanks-
    Hiya Tammyk

Thank you so much! (I uploaded a few more pictures btw, all were using D76/ID11).

It's such a magical film to work with I'm sure you will be excited by the results whichever developer you use. I guess to stick with one for a while is a good plan, that way you get to know both the film and develoer really well before branching out.

You enjoy!!!

~Kathy~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    I just thought I would mention that I've had great success with PMK pyro. Try 12.5 minutes at 77F. I normally use a #25 or #29 filter and my mid-day exposure is 1/125 @ f11. The attached photograph was made at this exposure and developed in PMK.

(snip)
    Don Bryant
    Lovely picture Don!

~Kathy~

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Don,

I have issues with Maco on only one point. I need to use wooden film holders. The dark slides are ir tight, but the plastic around the holder isnt. Wood film holders work wonders.

I also develop Maco in PMK with 2+4+100 (double the normal amount for 12 minutes at 24C.)

I've had folks ask if my 6x7 negs were 4x5 regular film type negs. Low grain. It's panchromatic film, not ortho, so without a dark filter they looks like regular film images.

Robert
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nobody has mentioned Diafine or, preferably, DiLuxol Vitesse for HIE, so I will. DiLuxol Vitesse is available again. I find that it gives lower graininess than D-76 with HIE and copes with a wider scene brightness range.

With an 093 filter I set my TTL meter (M7) to 1250 or 1600 - but that setting is highly meter-dependent. I did go to all the bother of making an IR meter from a Pentax digi spotmeter, a piece of Melles Griot short-pass filter to cut off at 900 nm (03 SWP 622, not 035WP622 as printed in Photo Techniques Jan/Feb 2000) and a piece of Lee 87 to block the visible light (what a faff) but found that the TTL meter was good enough in daylight - in fact experience is good enough for 'standard' lighting situations. The IR meter is about 16x more sensitive to IR than an unmodified meter sitting behind an 093 filter because the unmodified meter should have an IR-blocking filter right in front of the cell.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    (what a faff)
    Best,
    Helen
    Helen,

I think I understood all of the techno stuff but what is a faff?

Thanks,

Don

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin