Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,884   Online: 1187

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak HIE developer choices

I just got back from looking at the Massive Dev. Chart for time and choices concerning the development of Kodaks HIE IR film.

I'm wondering if I could ask you for a preference in development before I commit to too many mistakes.

My intent is to use a deep red filter (29), and 35mm format. I have HC110, Rodinal, and DDX developers on hand- as well as a small amount of Technidol.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would go for DDX, as that will minimize the grain. Mind you, there will still be a lot. Rodinal and HC110 will give significantly larger grain. Hence, you'll be able to make bigger enlargements with the DDX. Technidol wouldn't give enough contrast, and it's very expensive.

When I used a lot of HIE, I found that I had to develop for significantly longer than Kodak recommended.

Make sure do do some bracketing. I prefer by about 1/2 stop each way.

It's a wonderful material. Have fun!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi

Although I am a firm believer in Rodinal I would not recommend it for HIE as it will result in too grainy negs that I do not like with IR films. I use Rodinal Special (Studional) which has nothing to do with Rodinal. It gives much more smooth look and is GREAT for IR (I have shot 4 rolls of IR, so my experience is not big).
    I would also recommend DD-X as mentioned above.

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great! Now, maybe I just missed it, but I didn't see DDX listed with times on the chart. Would the normal 1:4 dil be applicable? I usually develop at 24C, but can adjust if it will give better results to do so.

I almost feel like someone should hold me hand or something! I sure appreciate the quick replies!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I shot one roll about a year ago and was happy with the results with D-76 undiluted. But I have nothing to compare it to.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammyk
    I just got back from looking at the Massive Dev. Chart for time and choices concerning the development of Kodaks HIE IR film.

I'm wondering if I could ask you for a preference in development before I commit to too many mistakes.

My intent is to use a deep red filter (29), and 35mm format. I have HC110, Rodinal, and DDX developers on hand- as well as a small amount of Technidol.

Hiya

I use lots of HIE, it is my favourite film. I use D76/ID11 for 11 minutes at 20 degrees which produces wonderful negatives with little grain....always been delighted with the results.

Best of luck, hope you enjoy!

~Kathy~

Shooter
    35mm
    I hope I am not too late to the party...

HIE is my main and favorite film, and for years I processed it in either D76 straight or D76 1:1, and learned to live with the rather flat, low contrast negs.

After my October trip to Utah, I decided to try T-Max developer, in the normal 1:4 dilution, for 8 mins at 68*F. All 28 rolls are fabulous! I've got tons of shadow detail AND highlight detail to play with when printing. I'll never go back to D76.

Whatever you do, DO NOT follow Kodak's current instructions to process it in D76 for only 8.5 mins. That would be disastrous. I do not know what Kodak is thinking of...

Good luck. I hope you learn to love HIE as much as I do.

JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, JP, you are not late. I haven't shot the roll yet.

I really appreciate the feedback. My local shop only sells D76 in a powder to make up a gallon. So, I was rethinking having another gallon of stuff on the shelf. On the other hand, I may enjoy it so much that I'll blow through it in no time!

Kathy, your IR work is amazing. Hoping that I will have some success as well.

Thanks-

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammyk

I just thought I would mention that I've had great success with PMK pyro. Try 12.5 minutes at 77F. I normally use a #25 or #29 filter and my mid-day exposure is 1/125 @ f11. The attached photograph was made at this exposure and developed in PMK. Bracket around that setting -always bracket. Normally I will make at least 3 exposures, +- 1 stop or in some cases +- 1/2 stop going 1 stop over and under. Even though HIE is expensive it is 35 mm is realitively inexpensive compared to 70 mm or 4x5. SO bracket.

Realistically I wouldn't expect a lot of success with your first few rolls. If you want to learn HIE buy a brick, 20 rolls. Also if you are in the northern lattitudes IR season is pretty much over unless you are working in the studio. If you expose enough eventually you will be able to pre-visualize most if not all of your shots.

And one more note PMK will help hide the grain but expect grain with this film.

Good luck,

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don,
    Thank you so much for your example. Beautiful. Yes, I'm aware that I'm losing daylight. I live in the SE, US. Our sunny, bright days are starting to fade...

What do you rate the film at using these camera settings, if you don't mind? I've seen anywhere from 200 to 320.

I have pyrocat- HD on the shelf also. And always plan to get more. I haven't tried PMK for anything. Is there a time difference, I wonder?

No, I won't expect success my first try, but usually I like to dive right in and start the learn! All the upfront help here is just so nice!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin