Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,343   Online: 1141

Shooter
    Medium Format

Transporting Uncut 120?

Hi all,

This is my first post at APUG, and it's very good to be here! I'm a wedding photographer based in the UK and have been shooting more and more film for personal work over the last few years. I became seriously interested in film after digital had made it's mark on the scene so my explorations on film are very much self taught and full of knowledge holes! I've recently bought a 500c/m from a friend and am really enjoying my time with it.

My first question (of many I'd imagine!) is this. I've shot and developed a few b/w films here at home. I'd like to get them scanned by my local pro lab and am going to take them in today. The chap at the lab mentioned that it'd be easier to take them in uncut. I'd already cut some of them, but the others are not yet filed. Any ideas on how to transport the film to the lab safely without cutting it? I was considering loosely rolling it. and popping it in a couple of 35mm canisters placed end to end?

Cheers all,

Tony

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Rolling the film up with the emulsion on the inside and placing it in some sort of container should keep your pictures free of damage. If you must do everything by the book, there are dedicated 120-tubes for sale here and there.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can use a clear plastic sleeve to store the film until the lab has scanned them. It comes in long rolls and you just cut as much as you need, and it's how many of the labs out there that had large volume of film usually stored the film to deliver. I usually got them in this sleeve, rolled up, and put into a 3" card board box.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is what you need (from Printfile, an APUG advertiser): http://www.printfile.com/120-1m.aspx
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recommend the plastic sleeves, too.

For the uncut roll... could you spool it back onto a developing reel and transport it that way?

I have a couple of Hewes reels, and I still have their original boxes, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plastic sleeves, and then get some paper cores from the lab to roll them up in. They will give them to you gladly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the lab also does processing, they likely have the long sleeving, see if they can sell/give you a few meters to tide you over.
    That would be the ideal solution, but rolling it up into a couple of film cans will work.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin