Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,740   Posts: 1,515,553   Online: 1049

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodak

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak

Hello

I want to change my film brand over from Ilford to Kodak manly for cost reasons. but I am a bit stunk when it come to chose between these to films,T-Max 400 or Tri-X 400. I know that the T-Max 400 has the finest grain and sharpest but as good tonal rang as the Tri-X 400. and Tri-X 400 is more forgiving then T-Max 400.

Its that the only differentness between these to films?

Thanks
    Dylan Matusevics

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tri-X is not more forgiving than TMax.

Tri-X is more forgiving than TMax in developing, because it reacts to changes in processing less rapidly.
    TMax is more forgiving than Tri-X in exposure, because it is able to record a much longer brightness range.

Both films are extremely good, and while you will get slightly grainier results with Tri-X, resulting in more texture in the prints, the differences are not that great.
    To be honest, I have prints made with Tri-X 400 and TMax 400 where it's hard for me to tell them apart unless I know beforehand what the film was.

Either one will be fantastic. TMax 400 for smoother tonal transitions and finer grain, Tri-X for more texture and grain.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy a pack of each and choose the one whose results you like better.
    Tmax 400 is imho often smoother whereas tri-x is classic gritty reporter style film. Tmax has more resolution less grain and offers beautiful tonality a little different than Tri-X Tmax is smooth Tri-x is gritty and seems to have more snap. But as I've said in the first sentence try them out yourself choosing a film can be a highly personal thing.

Good Luck

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan M View Post
    Hello

I want to change my film brand over from Ilford to Kodak manly for cost reasons.
    Please write to Simon Galley, who is on APUG and represents Ilford, and tell him what the cost issue is.

Also please mention what film you have been using, then people can give you better advice on how to find something similar, at lower cost.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dylan,
    Welcome to APUG. There are quite a few differences. A lot depends on how the film is exposed, processed and printed. Pick a film and make some pictures.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To a first approximation, Tri-X=HP5, the late Plus-X=FP4, TMax=Delta. There are real differences, of course, but those are the basic correspondences between Kodak and Ilford films. (In particular, there seem to be a lot more people who are passionately in love with the TMax films than the Delta ones. I've never shot much of either so I don't know how much this reflects major technical differences, though.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have found Tri-X to be a more friendly film to shoot, develop and print. It's my main film for black and white and it is very rare that I wish I had another film in a given situation. It is truly one of the best films of all time.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Please write to Simon Galley, who is on APUG and represents Ilford, and tell him what the cost issue is. .

If Simon Galley doesn't know of this cost issue then I fear for Ilford as well as Kodak. Not much future for any company that doesn't know its markets and prices . There was a long thread on the difference in Ilford U.S. prices compared to its UK prices. Most US APUGers sympathised with us in the U.K. and I thank you for that but I am sure Ilford knows the cost issues.

Based on my price tracking I'd say that if anything the difference in film prices between Kodak and Ilford has probably narrowed in recent months but TMax is still a bit cheaper. Seems incredible that a U.S company can send film to the U.K. cheaper than a UK based company can offer.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dylan, tell us what your subjects are. I find Tri-x works better for the subjects I enjoy shooting. For me tonality trumps fine grain and resolution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would suggest buying 2-3 rolls each of tri-X and Tmax and shooting them in situations you normally would, and process it with the same chemicals you are accustomed to. See which one you like the most as everyone has their own opinion, and this has been discussed on the web since forever.

Do you usually shoot hp5 or delta? As people have posted earlier they are similar to tri-X and Tmax respectively. Though I think kodak proclaims its Tmax as the finest grained film for 100 and 400 in the world.

In the past I have shot a good amount of TriX its great stuff but I have switched to Tmax films for its grain qualities and ease of pushing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin