Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,021   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

new film-old camera ?

hi everybody

i'm fairly new here only a couple of posts. back to film after a long time.

my question is what film would you recomend for a no1 autographic

kodak jr. i got this camera quite a wile ago at a camera show , it's

been sitting on the shelf with all the others. time to dust it off.

i'm not sure what the bellows are made of, they look like leather

with a cloth backing inside. what would you use to clean and treat

this so it doesent dry out.

the shutter speeds are 25 / B / T / 50 . the apertures are 1 / 2 /3 / 4.

any help would be great.

al.b

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Assuming it accepts 120 film, any film you want to use is just fine. It just depends on what you want to accomplish.
    Lexol is a good leather conditioner for keeping leather bellows supple. Before shooting with the camera, look into a light through the back of the camera to make sure you have no light leaks, and be sure to completely seal off the autographic door with black tape so you don't have a light leak there either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good pickup by Terry, Kodak actually did make cameras (like yours) that took 120 film back in the 1920s and 1930s. After that they adulterated their cameras so the 120 film won't fit...the beginning of the end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Good pickup by Terry, Kodak actually did make cameras (like yours) that took 120 film back in the 1920s and 1930s. After that they adulterated their cameras so the 120 film won't fit...the beginning of the end.
    My 1934 Kodak Six Sixteen and its 2.5" x 4.5" negatives on 616 film might beg to differ about your "beginning of the end" comment

For me, in or about 1967, it was a great introduction to developing and contact printing film.

Every once in a while I take it out and use it with 120 and some modified spools.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just look for a film in the range of ISO 50-60 and then you can easily use the Sunny 16 Rule as you have the 1/50th shutter speed. I'd say something funny(for me) like, you need to find old vintage film to use with an old camera like yours but, it might be taken either the wrong way or literally and you'd get a ton of emails offering to sell you rolls with a use by date of the '20s.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The 1, 2, 3, 4 on the aperture correspond to f11, f16, f22, and f32.
    Ilford Pan F would be a good choice or a 100 speed film like Acros or T-Max would be a good choice too.
    If the bellows are red, they are definitely leather. If they are black, they may or may not be depending on the age.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a No.2 Folding Autographic Brownie which takes 120 film. A quick google shows that yours takes 116 film, which is slightly wider than 120. B&H apparently can order Kodak TXP in 116 respooled from 70mm film at $25 per roll. Yikes! There may be other sources, but I doubt they'd be much cheaper. Since it's not substantially wider you can always try kludging some 120 film in there which little homemade adapters to widen the film spool, but the viewfinder and frame spacing will be off since the No 1 film frame is much larger than the 6x9 for the No. 2.

I once found an old roll of 116 in an antique store camera that they let me try to develop, but it was the first time I'd ever tried the see-saw method and I botched it badly but some pics were rescued with scanning.

Does your camera have an empty spool in the back (or even a used one like mine did)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have five Kodak folders that used 116 film but 116 film was discontinued in 1984. Using 120 film in those cameras is pretty easy. I have taken some very nice images using 120 film. Some of the Kodak folders have a spring metal plate that pushes up against the film which helps keep the 120 film flat.

My most recent Flickr upload is an image from a roll of Velvia 50 in a 116 Kodak 1A folder.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrismat61
    Last edited by Chrismat; 01-14-2012 at 06:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks mrred, if it is the the No. 1 and not the No. 1A then you're in luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin