Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,011   Online: 1178

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

HP5+.... plus Rodinal

...so a wild animal grabbed me and forced me to buy a spool of 35mm HP5+ instead of Tri-X (actually, B&H was out of stock).

Anyone try this combo, before I burn too much of the film to be useful? My alternative is probably X-tol.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Strange you should mention that I use the HP5+/Rodinal combo at:

ISO200 1+50 at 20C for 8 mins
    ISO400 1+50 at 20C for 14 mins

Filled and inverted during the first 30 seconds and then one inversion every 30 seconds.
    Last edited by TPPhotog; 11-04-2004 at 07:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typo 400 time should be 14 not 15 mins

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds very close to my typical Tri-X time for 1+50. I don't think I've shot HP5 for years... we'll see! (Found a forgotten cache of 120 Neopan 400, about an hour ago, too. hmm)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    look in my gallery, all the classic car pics are hp5+rodinal
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have shot quite a few rolls of HP5 and given them a bath in the holy Hot Rod.

It's a VERY NICE thing. I have used it for reportage with my Kodak Retinette IB.

The grain is SO delicate!

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...and yet, I've read more threads warning against the HP5/rodinal combo as some kind of unholy spawn from hell. It's hard to say why this is, as sometimes it's the grain that's mentioned, sometimes the "tonality."

I've never had any problems with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot HP5+ as my main film. I haven't used Rodinal with it, however, only D76 1:3. My experience with HP5+ vs Tri-X is that Tri-X needs a little bit longer in the developer than HP5+. I'd knock a minute or so off the development time you use for Tri-X. Should be pretty close.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shot a roll of HP5+ 400ASA this morning, just developed it in Rodinal 1+50 @ 20c for 14 mins, agitated for first 30 secs the 10 secs per min. Early reports are looking promising!

Morten, out of curiosity what fixer do you use?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Below is a scan I performed of a photo I shot of my cocker spaniel performing a number two (some humor for this Friday!!) with HP5+. The film was developed in Microdol-X 1:3 for 25 minutes at 68 degrees based on the recommendation on page 151 of Anchell and Troop's "The Film Developing Cookbook". The negative was exposed with my Leica R8 and 50mm Summicron lens. The original print is dazzlingly sharp with incredible definition in the dog's fur, the lawn, and the pot behind the dog. The out of focus background exhibits no true increased grain and is sensuously mellow in texture appearance. I highly recommend you try the aforementioned Microdol-X concoction for its compensating effect, for there is no highlight blocking and the tonality in the print is super!
    Last edited by tbm; 08-21-2007 at 11:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love this combo, it's what I mainly use when shooting with my Holga. Assuming you aren't making giant enlargements, the grain isn't that bad when enlarging from 120 size. I think the tones are good also. -Grant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin