Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,769   Online: 871

Shooter
    35mm

Travel film fixer?

I'm looking for a fixer that I can take to South America by plane. I usually use TF-4 or TF-5 from the formulary, but I don't think flying with a liquid fixer is a great idea. I also don't think I can buy it on the ground. Is there a fixer than I can mix from powder that is alkaline? I'll be using XTOL and Acufine, and would prefer not to use hypo clear, just dev—rinse—fix—rinse like usual. I'm taking Tri-x and Tmax 3200 btw.

Any ideas?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,

This is not a reply to your question, rather a suggestion which may or may not be helpful.

I've never developed film while away from home, but occasionally I have to bring a number of chemicals which would in all likelihood get me on a no-fly list in no time at all when traveling on business.

Solution? DHL. Just ship whatever you need to the first location you'll be staying at; call ahead to make arrangements at the receiving end. Works a charm every time you've got a few days' notice before embarking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That still leaves having to use a powdered fixer and hydrate on location. Cost of shipping liquids is prohibitive. Any non hardening powder fix should suffice, it will be fresh. Powdered Developer such as D-76 or equivalent will work as well. You can skip stop bath and just use water rinses between steps. You can carry the chem packets in your luggage or in your camera gear bag, put the pouches in zip lock bags for added safety.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi

why don't you just buy a packet of kodak fixer and put it in your luggage?
    it is sealed, powder, travels easy and is cheap !

why make life hard for yourself ...

have a nice trip !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    The formulary sells a t-max fixer in powder form, also freestyle has arista premium fixer which is also in powder form. Both of these are non-hardening and non-hypo (acid) fixers. Good luck on the trip, Steven.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin