Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,353   Online: 828

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Dark band down center of negatives

Please see the attached screenshot of the preview scan from the scanner.

I'm seeing a dark band down the center of the negative, running the length of the film. Not sure where I should start looking to eliminate the problem. Light leak somewhere? Chemical problem? This is not the first roll I've seen this, but it's not consistent, and has happened with 2 entirely different cameras. I'm doing something wrong somewhere.

Hasselblad 500C/M, HP5+ in D76 1:1 for 12 minutes. Reasonably fresh chemicals.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Preview.jpg  
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Light leaks leave light bands, not dark ones on a positive print. I'd go with an agitation issue and slight under development of the center of the film.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are the bands there when you look at the negatives on a light table? Sometimes, the film doesn't lay flat in the scanner and shows bands like this. But when I look at the negative the bands aren't there.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Agitation, definitely. Too much flipping, not enough spinning, or too much spinning, not enough flipping (that would be my first choice, but does anyone use tanks with agitator rods anymore?) perhaps combined with not enough, total.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was actually somewhat distracted by a phone call while processing that roll, so my agitation could've been off. Will try another roll, being more mindful of the agitation.

The negatives are quite flat in the scanner, since I scan them "bend upwards" with Betterscanning glass holders. It's difficult to see the band with just a loupe, but it does seem barely visible. It becomes worse as I dial up the contrast in post. I may also try some wet prints to see how those look.

Thanks
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I agree this is lack of agitation in the first 15 seconds of development.. You must twist invert twist invert very aggressively to get rid of this ... get developer in quick and then agitate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Light leaks leave light bands, not dark ones on a positive print. I'd go with an agitation issue and slight under development of the center of the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbaty View Post

I'm seeing a dark band down the center of the negative, running the length of the film.
    Your posted images don't show this. The negatives posted have a center that is is less dense. Less silver developed on the negative. More clear or lighter in the center. Are you sure that is what you are seeing. Are you looking at the negatives on a light box or looking at them with a dark background? When you look at thin negatives against a dark background you can see a misleading positive image.

Negatives that are lighter in the middle are frequently the result of exhaustion of the developer during development, leading to less development near the center of the negative. What is your processing volume per 8x10" of film?
    Last edited by ic-racer; 01-14-2012 at 05:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for agitation issues, although I might say the "darker" center could be ok, but the lighter edges (which are inconsistent here) suffer from surge, or over-development from having more agitation at the edges, from inverting the tank, etc. I find this problem more difficult to eliminate with 120 film than either sheet film (which I do in trays, manual shuffling, constant agitation), or 35mm. You have to agitate enough to get the same exchange of chems in the center as you get at the edges. If the agitation is too "violent", you can have surge also. I find it more evident with some developers than others.
    My current successes have come from a 1 1/2 minute initial agitation, then 15 sec agitation every 1 1/2 minutes. My thinking was since the surge occurs during agitation, I do it less often, but do it longer, to ensure good exchange in the center of the film. My technique is an inverted swirl (like most folks do with reel tanks), but a slow consistent one for 15 sec.
    This is counter to most advice I have read over the years, but it works for me with Ilford films and HC-110 1:60.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You are using stainless steel reels and tanks? Then the answer is simple--you are overfilling your tanks and the edges of the reels moving through the developer is causing uneven development as there is no developer agitation at the center of the film. Leave an air space in your tank.
    Last edited by Hikari; 01-14-2012 at 04:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Your posted images don't show this. Are you sure that is what you are seeing. Are you looking at the negatives on a light box or looking at them with a dark background? When you look at thin negatives against a dark background you can see a misleading positive image.
    That's odd, I can see the shading on my monitor.
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin