Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,855   Online: 905

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Paper developer suggestions?

I'm using Dektol, and I print mostly on Oriental paper. Seriously, it's the only paper developer in my darkroom right now...and I don't feel very good about that. It's not that I'm displeased with Dektol, I just want to try something new and broaden my horizons a bit. Thus, I'm open to any suggestions. Here's your big chance to tell me what I should be doing, and not have me argue with you at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi sundowner

i use and love ansco 130
    it is bought through the photographers formulary
    ( the are the only ones left who make glycin )

in stock solution it lasts for a long long time,
    it is warm toned if diluted and less so when used stronger

it can be diluted ( 1:6 or more ) and used to process film

some say it lasts for 30 days in an open tray

i like using it when it gets dark like cocacola to process paper negatives.

have fun!
    john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    130 is a great developer. And so is LPD, very inexpensive and flexible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Kodak Polymax-T.

Marketed as Liquid Dektol in some parts of the world.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
    Seriously, it's the only paper developer in my darkroom right now...and I don't feel very good about that.
    There's your problem if you ask me. Having one paper developer is not a bad thing at all. However I can't necessarily argue against trying new things either. So I'd say if you want to try something different, try something more different than 130. With typical neutral toned papers it will be more or less indistinguishable from Dektol. Which raises another possibility for variety - stick with one print developer and try some different papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get better tonality with 130 than Dektol, so it definitely doesn't perform the same. Different enough? That's for you to decide.

The best option: get some bulk ingredients and an accurate scale, and make up some developers from published formulas (or experiment on your own once you know what you're doing). You can make a hydroquinone-only developer for instance, or try any of the many Ansco formulas. Fun stuff!
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I prefer Ethol LPD, inexpensive, long lasting, and very flexible. Changing mix ratio adjusts tonallity without sacrificing developing time.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, so Ansco 130 goes on the list. I'm looking up LPD right now...

And yes, I want to shift papers around as well. However...one variable at a time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Liquidol is apparently building a good reputation.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I really like oriental in LPD at 1:2 dilution, just my 2¢.

Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin