Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,651   Online: 855

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Confused as to a pushable film dev combo for unrepeatable work

Ok after much trying we are having a baby and we want the birth recorded properly; On black and white film. I have spent the last few years using mostly 100asa and below stock settling on Foma 100 and Rollei RPX100 in R09, it gives me prints I am more and happy with. I want to minimise grain with out losing too much sharpness it will be shot probably on a combo of a Yashicamat, Mamiya 645 and an OM1 with a ring flash for a couple of shots. The OM will have most likely A 100 or 50 asa film in. So I have read up on all these dev and film combos and I am getting confused so I would like to try preferably a few 400asa films at 800 and maybe 1600 (I hope I don't have to) I have a pack of D76 and I think the Uni darkroom has HC110. So I am looking for advise on perhaps 2 more devs to try and what films work well being pushed, then the combos will be tested to see what works for me. I do not think I will print over 16" on the long side.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tmax 400 low grain pushable great tonality for babies and moms alike in Tmax developer or Xtol or Delta 3200 grainier but good for Indoor hospital shots and doesn't need to be pushed.

Good luck and congratulations

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you shoot Kodak T-Max 400 film (TMY), the Kodak recommendations for a one stop push (EI 800) are to use the same development time as for the standard speed (ISO 400). So you can mix shots taken at the optimum speed of 400 and an EI of 800 on the same roll.

They recommend either X-Tol or one of the two T-Max developers for maximum shadow speed with TMY.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TMY-2 in Ilford DDX.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Flash + newborn is not a good combo. Available light is advised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't underexpose "unrepeatable work." It is like throwing away half of the image...you may want it later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rest assured I won't be using a flash for the baby. Thnaks for the reply I shall buy a few rolls and start testing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alex66 View Post
    Rest assured I won't be using a flash for the baby. Thnaks for the reply I shall buy a few rolls and start testing.
    Flash can't harm the baby, but it can make a newborn very uncomfortable just like anyone else who isn't expecting the sudden burst of light. Except a baby's reactions are not tuned in yet, so if uncomfortable, they just cry, which on top of everything else going on is not what you or mother wants.

A ring flash is pretty focused. A bounce flash is much better if going for anything other than an extremity. Shots of hands and feet are beautiful. Congrats.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For 35mm, I love XTOL.

Whatever developer you pick, buy a new package/bottle, and mix it shortly before developing your rolls. Test on a sacrificial roll first. You want to be certain that the developer will work, so don't risk using old developer. And congratulations!

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For many years my choice for push processed 35mm work was XP1 then XP2 in C41 dev.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin