Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,181   Online: 1159

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    I tap the bottom after every inversion, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. I've just had a play around and a thick rubber band keeps the reels in place. I'm reasonably sure it'll do the trick, thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Ian, like I said I run 2 rolls in one of those.
    Am I asking for trouble doing this if I'm careful to completely fill the tank @ 1:1 with 2/120's or 1/220?
    Have you done this?
    You do not want to fill a tank completely or will get uneven development in an inversion tank. You need an air space to move the developer on the inversion.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm definitely sticking to 500mL - I'm reasonably sure it's not the amount of developer, just the coverage that is the problem. Disappointed at just how many rolls have this problem - it's not that obvious on the negatives, it's only when scanned where it becomes very apparent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the Paterson tanks: When the reel is set for 120 film, depending on which side of the reel you put the black light trap column in, it will change the reel height in the tank, it's not much, but could make a difference. I always use 525ml for 120 film, just in case.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    You do not want to fill a tank completely or will get uneven development in an inversion tank. You need an air space to move the developer on the inversion.
    When I used to use replenished Xtol I filled my tanks to almost the top and never had a problem with Paterson or Jobo tanks and inversion agitation, I'd only leave a small space.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Ian, like I said I run 2 rolls in one of those.
    I've read the contentious arguments about how much D76 is actually needed per surface area and I like it 1:1.

Am I asking for trouble doing this if I'm careful to completely fill the tank @ 1:1 with 2/120's or 1/220?
    Have you done this?
    At 1+1 with 2 films in 500ml you'll be on the borderline of exhaustion issues but in reality it depends on what works for you. If you shot a lot of high key shots so greater than normal negative densities you'd most likely have problems but average scenes may be OK.

It's not really a contentious issue a certain amount of developing agent is used to develop each gram of silver so if the level of developing agent drops too low it has an effect on the highlight areas which will be under-developed.

Personally I find that devs like D76/ID-11, Xtol etc at 1+3 give me lack lustre negative negatives so I preferred 1+2 as I got better highlight detail.

If you're getting good negative then it's working for you.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freecom2 View Post
    That might just be the ticket actually - now that I think about it, I've opened the tank before and the reel wasn't completely at the bottom of the tank. The inversion agitation and and weight of the liquid must contribute to it moving.

Both my Super System 4 tanks didn't come with any form of collar though, and I can't put an empty 35mm on top because there isn't enough space. Is there any well known improvisation for it? I was thinking rubber bands but I'm sure there must be a better way...
    You could cut off the bottom of a plastic 35mm cannister in order to create a collar that is the height you need.

I have clips that came with some AP tanks I have that also work.

Will 1/2 of a Samigon reel fit and do the job?
    Last edited by MattKing; 01-15-2012 at 04:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: replaced Paterson with Samigon
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    You could cut off the bottom of a plastic 35mm cannister in order to create a collar that is the height you need.

I have clips that came with some AP tanks I have that also work.

Will 1/2 of a Samigon reel fit and do the job?
    An interesting thought, just tried it and unfortunately it means I can't screw the top on properly unfortunately. A thick rubber band tied multiple times seems to keep it from moving, so the next time I'm developing I'm going to try it. Just disappointed in how long it took me to realise there was a problem, you really have to hunt for them on the negatives but they show up instantly on scans.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin