Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,790   Online: 1042

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardening fixer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Hardening fixer

Are there any modern 35MM B&W films that require a hardening fixer? Just curious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some might prefer to use one with EFKE/Adox films but I've happily used Hypam with these films over the past few years.

So there's no simple answer if you take care with temperatures softer emulsions are ok with non hardening fixers. For me there's no film that requires one.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know of anything that I've seen that "requires" one...but hardening fixer is pretty much "required" by me, personally, since I tend to scratch everything I touch.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ahhh......................thanks Sundowner. That's a good point for a neophyte like me. Never would have thought of that on my own.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have had hardener ruin negs when developing 8x10 film in a 3005 Jobo Expert Drum -- there would be a permanent mineral-like deposit on the back side of the films.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd encourage someone more in the know than me to jump in on this, but my understanding is that 35mm film from Kodak, Ilford or Fuji (and most others) is pre-hardened, and as a result adding hardener at the fixing stage does not improve their ability to resist physical damage - it just makes them harder to wash.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Ilford hypam is a hardening fixer? I ask because is my current fixer, but thought that was similar to ilford rapid fixer. a non-hardener, right?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i do work for federal and state archives
    and they require NON hardened fixer
    because hardener tends to trap in
    stuff you want to wash out
    if you attempt to do
    archival-anything

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    Ilford hypam is a hardening fixer? I ask because is my current fixer, but thought that was similar to ilford rapid fixer. a non-hardener, right?
    I think Ian is referring to Hypam as a non-hardening fixer, which I understand to be correct.

Its main difference from Ilford Rapid Fixer is that it will permit the adding of hardener, if one has a special purpose process that requires hardener.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    because hardener tends to trap in stuff you want to wash out
    I did not know that...hmm...

I also had not heard of pre-hardened films in 35mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin