Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,508   Online: 894

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, at least one mystery is solved.

When you picked up the film after it dropped, you picked up the other end, and therefore loaded it with the last photos going first into the centre of the developing reel.

If it is any consolation, I've been doing this for 40+ years, and I too sometimes have trouble with a film that refuses to load easily. So it may be that you are being unfair to yourself when you describe this as a "very rookie mistake". The big advantage of course of having more experience is that it is easier to stay calm under the pressure .

Humidity (either very low, or very high) is often the culprit. What type of reels and tanks are you using?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you using plastic Paterson type reels? If so, were they completely dry when you started loading your film? A little moisture will cause the film to stick to the reel and make loading very difficult if not impossible. Also, I have read that some people using the plastic reels who also use Photo-Flo have had the film jam if they didn't thoroughly wash the reel the last time they used it.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    now i feel even sillier because it was a plastic reel (patterson) and I thought it was sufficiently dry but I'd done another roll maybe 15 minutes before... What a combo. *face palm*

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another valuable lesson that you won't soon forget .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin