Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,947   Posts: 1,557,848   Online: 821

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

film that rolls backwards help?

I really don't know how else to explain it. I was loading it into my tank and could feel it changed direction like it was s shaped and then it jammed and i couldn't get it to load properly for the life of me. Has this happened to anyone else? It was in a camera I havent touched in awhile so maybe it got curled up wrong from sitting there too long?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    and it gets weirder. I know that I took the full amount of photos I could, but when I developed it I found the last photo I took towards the beginning of the roll and photos I'd taken earlier towards the end but they were eaten pretty badly. I just wish I knew what I did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you were shooting the camera for the first time, it could be that the camera you have extracts the entire roll, and then as you shoot it retracts back into the canister...

Other than that, I got nothing for ya.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Which camera was it in, and for how long?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie_like_the_chan View Post
    I really don't know how else to explain it. I was loading it into my tank and could feel it changed direction like it was s shaped and then it jammed and i couldn't get it to load properly for the life of me. Has this happened to anyone else? It was in a camera I havent touched in awhile so maybe it got curled up wrong from sitting there too long?
    Sometimes you can salvage a poorly loaded roll by taking it off the reel and starting from the other (hopefully undamaged) end. Also, if the camera wraps the film backwards around the take-up spool, it helps to leave the film rewound into the cassette for a while before trying to put it on the developing reel. Especially if the film was in the camera for a while, the reverse curl can really make a mess of loading.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it was in my vivitar 3800n, which has always been very trusty for me, but the film was in there for about a month so i'm assuming it mustve gotten curled but that doesn't explain the last pic...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hmm, Mark's right. But I find it hard to believe that a month would cause such problems- I thought you were going to say a year or so! Oh well, better luck next time!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    A month is plenty of time to take a set. Rewinding into the cassette a letting it sit overnight will remove most of the reverse curl. Of course the film and age matter to; it sure seems like film gets curlier as it get older, but probably just longer for the curl to set in.

I don't know the Vivitar you mentioned, but I assumed the answers about it shooting from the end of the film back to the beginning was probably right. I've had at least one point and shoot that did that (maybe my Yashica T4).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a Vivitar 3800N: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...LR_Camera.html

It is a manual wind 35mm SLR, so I don't think it does that trick with the reversed order of photos .

To the OP:

Was this bulk loaded film?

When you loaded it on the darkroom reel, did you first remove it from the 35mm cassette entirely? By chance did you drop and then pick up the film in the dark?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It wasn't bulk loaded and when I loaded it onto the reel it exploded in my hands and so I tried to put it on the reel and it felt wrong and then I felt it bend and twist and that was about the time I dropped the film in the dark :-/ It just frustrates me because I start another photography course at my local art college tomorrow and I feel I made a very very rookie mistake...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin