Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,158   Online: 772

Thread: Old Chemistry

Shooter
    35mm

Old Chemistry

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick question. I think I no the answer, but thought I would get a second (or several) opinions. I have an old bag of Dektol with and expiration date of July 2007 and a bag of Kodak Fixer with an expiration date of April 2007. These have been stored in the dark in temperatures that have not exceded 85 F (power outage during a hurricane). Is the consensus that I should dispose of this or might it still be safe to use? I don't think I want to try it, but the cheapskate in me says to try it.

Thanks in advance,
    Aubrey

Shooter
    35mm RF

old bags of Dektol, Kodak fixer

I've used both, equally old, with excellent results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    2007 isn't very old. 1977 is getting there. If the powder isn't caked in the bag or discoloured, and the Dektol mixes up to a vary pale beige or light tan, it should be good. The fixer should be white powder and mix up water white.
    Bob

dmb

Shooter
    35mm
    It would be simple enough to make up a small amount of each next time you are printing. Test the developer with small strip of properly exposed paper and the fixer with a film leader for clearing time. This is the sort of test I always do with home brew developers and I keep a pot of film leaders in the darkroom to test clearing time,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    as it's a print developer your not going to harm any negatives tesying and using it, it should ne fine.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm

Thank You!

Thanks everyone. I may give it a try later this evening. Right now, it is time to go take advantage of the sunshine! Everyone have a great day.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin