Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,344   Online: 786

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

FP4 8x10 sheet film base side anomalies in Jobo 3005

I just processed some Ilford fp4 8x10 sheet film in a Jobo 3005 and the base side is getting some weird drying marks and is riddled with scratches as well. The marks look like some type of effect from liquid being trapped between two smooth surfaces (Jobo wall and base side of film) and causing some type flaw. I presoaked, used xtol, normal stop bath, and normal fixer. Washed for 30 mintues and did a final rinse in distilled water. The same thing happened with HP5 a few years back, so I stuck with Tri-X. Is Ilford's base not all that compatible with the function of the Jobo drums? I never get or got this problem with Kodak. Please chime in. Thanks.
    Last edited by Jordan.K; 01-17-2012 at 11:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had the exact same problem with both FP4+ and Delta 100 but never found out what the problem was. Did test at least two different fixers and developers but nothing changed. Tried low and high speed settings on the Jobo but no change.
    90% of my 8x10 film use is Kodak so i moved on.
    Will on occasion use some FP4+ and HP5+ but not for anything serious.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Are you using a hardening fix? If you are, switching to a non-hardening fix will probably solve your problem -- it did for me.

I use FP4+ in the 3005 all the time now with zero problems. Great film!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am using a non-hardening fixer, so that rules that out I suppose. Good to know someone experienced this with the Ilford films as well.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Dang, thought I had it nailed for you.

What speed does the drum turn -- and do you reverse it?

My workflow...

I use a 3 to 5 minute rinse, Ilford PQ Universal developer, Kodak Stop Bath, Kodak Rapid Fixer (without the Part B -- the hardener), a rinse (two times), Kodak HCA, then remove the film for washing (on hangers). I reverse the drum every minute - the auto reverse on the motor base did not allow for enough rotation of the drum before it reversed, due to the greater diameter of the 3005. I disconnected the auto-reverse mechanism.

I use a liter of chemistry, except sometimes only 500ml of stop bath. I wonder if this might help you if you are now use significantly less.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I tried putting the film in a tray to presoak and then gently place them in the drum which was full of water thinking that maybe it was the initial contact of the film, water, and Jobo that happens during my normal process. It changed very little and there are still a ton scratches and strange clear blotches on the base side. All the chemistry is fresh and mixed just prior to using. This is the exact thing that happened to me with HP5 and I simply feel that no matter how careful I am that the base side is prone to scratches and whatnot. I want to like Ilford films, but they have been nothing but a headache thus far. Any further suggestions will continue to be appreciated. I need to get this figured out so that I can get back to making work.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Tray develop.

Not what you wanted to hear...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan.K View Post
    ...Any further suggestions will continue to be appreciated. I need to get this figured out so that I can get back to making work.
    Sacrifice a sheet, i.e. take it out of the box unexposed and unprocessed, then examine in light. If base scratches exist, you've a manufacturing defect. Contact Ilford and report; I assure you they will make good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting post,

We have used Jobo processors for many years and fully auto processors in QC and we do not get issues, we also do not have any QC's for base scratches of any type on any film sheet or otherwise.

We DO NOT recommend pre-soaking any of our film products, in saying that that would not cause or add to this issue as described unless it was an very,very long pre-soak.

Jordan.K : Return an example of the film exhibiting the problem, along with batch number off the box and all the details and I will have it examined and a reply sent to you.

Simon.R.Galley,
    HARMAN technology Limited,
    Ilford Way,
    Mobberley,
    Knutsford.
    CHESHIRE
    WA16 7JL
    United Kingdom.

When you buy ILFORD products you have the resource of our technical service, if you see an issue that you cannot figure out speak to us.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear John, If you are working in reversal I most certainly see your point, I have been down today to look at the stored sheet film negs ( every batch of film we make has samples taken, some is exposed and processed and some is stored unprocessed for future QC reference ) We may have a regime that does not replicate what you see, I will speak to tech service re tube processing and come back to you.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited ;

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin