Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,775   Online: 865

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help x-ray film woes

I am using Fuji single emulsion mammo x-ray film for enlarged negatives. I have done this successfully with making an interpositive first etc and using paper developer. I just tried to use an actual print as an interpositive as I have heard of others doing this. Everthing comes out as a perfect positive! I am developing in D-55 4:1 and exposing in a contact print frame under a 300w bulb at about 30in. its totally weird! I have tried exyending exposure and decreasing to ridiculously low and its always a positive! Could it be my developer? I don't know.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are contact printing a positive paper print onto what?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Curious. Show!

I wonder if it is some odd optical effect due to two negs being close together.... isn't the extra film coated on both sides? If so then I guess one emulsion will be sharp and the other not... and then... I don't know. Try printing it!

Interesting.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is it possible that you are getting the effect of solarizing? 300w is pretty bright.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ullsmith View Post
    Is it possible that you are getting the effect of solarizing? 300w is pretty bright.
    That's also the only thing I could think of. One method of producing positives from positives is to overexpose to the point where the silver halide grains "do a 180°". That's oversimplified for such a complex reaction, but I believe that's kinda how it works. There is a discussion on this topic somewhere...

If you've found a way to get a direct positive from mammography film, that might be a very interesting technique to exploit!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    That's also the only thing I could think of. One method of producing positives from positives is to overexpose to the point where the silver halide grains "do a 180°". That's oversimplified for such a complex reaction, but I believe that's kinda how it works. There is a discussion on this topic somewhere...

If you've found a way to get a direct positive from mammography film, that might be a very interesting technique to exploit!
    Thanks to all for the comments. It seems I should patent my process as I have found a way to create a direct positive from a positive print! Yes it is due to HORRIBLE overexposure, I had stupidly assume that since I was trying to penetrate fiber base paper that I would need mega-light....wrong! I ended using my D@ with cold lite stopped down to F32! at about 80cm for 4 sec, when using the 300w bulb I was giving 40sec! What was i thinking? anyway all is well that ends well. BTW mammo x-ray film is single emulsion very fast(blue/green sensitive) and has great sharpness abiet a blue base that doesn't seem to affect anything. I develope it in Ilford PQ paper developer for about 2 min. It does require at least a 1 minute presoak as the heavy anti-halation coating interferes with developement. I get this stuff for free from some of my customers as everyone is switching to digital imaging.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've gotta try it! I'm using Agfa mammography film and I agree that it's a good film. I also had trouble with some mottled development and maybe the anti-halation dye was my trouble...

I haven't fooled around with it much more than the 2 instances, though I got a nice enlarged negative by enlarging a b&w positive onto the film and developing it in HC-110, dil B.

cheers!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin