Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,210   Online: 912

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does Fuji make black and white paper?

That's not a bad question, maybe, maybe not, they sell B&W paper but whether they make it themselves is not stated. It needs to be rmembered that their 1600 Neopnan and C41 B&W film were outsourced in the past and it wasn't a secret in the trade.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I remember I tested 8 other commercial papers that were being used at the time and the Remberant did not look exactly like any of them, so maybe Fuji does make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Does Fuji make black and white paper?

That's not a bad question, maybe, maybe not, they sell B&W paper but whether they make it themselves is not stated. It needs to be rmembered that their 1600 Neopnan and C41 B&W film were outsourced in the past and it wasn't a secret in the trade.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You guys are right, Rembrant is labelled as Grade 2 variable contrast paper...but interestingly, the grade 3 VC paper was discontinued a few years ago. (!) In any event, I only have some experience with the Fujibro, very little with the Rembrant.

I'm a big fan of Dirk and Japan Exposures, and have bought many things from him over the years in three different countries, but the prices on that website include a 30% markup over what I would pay retail in a store like Yodobashi camera. Yodobashi also sells the paper (see this link), but it's difficult to navigate the site without Japanese and I don't imagine they ship internationally (but I haven't checked).
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    ..I'm a big fan of Dirk and Japan Exposures, and have bought many things from him over the years in three different countries, but the prices on that website include a 30% markup over what I would pay retail in a store like Yodobashi camera...
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Maybe we should club together to butter up Rachelle and get her to set up an export business for the Fuji stuff we can't get over here
    So Dirk takes your order, goes out into the Tokyo retail market and buys what you want (but can't otherwise get outside of Japan), packs and then takes it to a post office for shipment to you. For this his prices are 30% higher than Yodobashi. Sounds like a great deal to me; most retailers operate on a 100% markup over their cost.

You'd better do a really fine job buttering up Rachelle if you want her to start a business that competes with Japan Exposures on smaller margins!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    I tried the Rembrandt single weight a few years ago. It was nothing special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    My recollection of Rembrant was it was a VC paper double weight. Neutral Toned.
    What's special is that it's a first-tier quality paper on single weight base. No other manufacturers in Fuji's league offer single weight so, if that's what you want, it's the only game in town. I'm not sure Scheoller even makes single weight baryta any more; perhaps Fuji sources the base from a Japanese supplier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    So Dirk takes your order, goes out into the Tokyo retail market and buys what you want (but can't otherwise get outside of Japan), packs and then takes it to a post office for shipment to you. For this his prices are 30% higher than Yodobashi. Sounds like a great deal to me; most retailers operate on a 100% markup over their cost.

You'd better do a really fine job buttering up Rachelle if you want her to start a business that competes with Japan Exposures on smaller margins!
    I don't know if that's what Dirk does, but he is basically providing a service to foreigners both in and out of Japan to get a hold of products that are otherwise unavailable to them. So I think the markup is reasonable and in line with purchasing other goods for the foreign market in Japan. However, I live and work in Japan, earning and spending yen, so the prices are normal to me -- but I think quite shocking in other currencies once you convert the prices over...I have no idea how long we're going to have a strong yen, but for the moment it works well for me.

I don't know if people are being serious or not, but as for being a supplier myself...besides the logistics, I don't live in a big city like Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, etc. where I can purchase these products. As it is, I stock up on chemicals and paper the few times a year I make it to Tokyo or Fukuoka or similar cities that have a Yodobashi or Bic Camera store in town.

We don't have anything like this in Kumamoto:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Summer 2011 009.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	44879 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quickloads colour.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	376.9 KB 
ID:	44880

I know it's film, but I don't have any photos of the paper section, which is in another building. These photos were taken at the mecca of photography, Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku, Tokyo last summer. Now it's only a single wall cooler full of film, but as little as three years ago there were at least 3 big coolers in the same location: click. The film section (now) is a little decimated but the paper section (starts at photo 16/40 with the Fuji paper) is still pretty accurate.
    Last edited by mooseontheloose; 01-21-2012 at 10:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those pictures make me drool....VERY MUCH!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin