Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,675   Online: 991

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Incidentally, Tri-X 320 sheets also make excellent anti-Newton Ring spacers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Incidentally, Tri-X 320 sheets also make excellent anti-Newton Ring spacers.
    Really?

That's cool!
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes! I had been testing this for some time and posted it to the enlarging forum about a month ago. I was excited to report my findings to John Sexton, who is in the process of experimenting with some other solutions. This is a really simple fix. And hey - maybe we can get lots of people buying Tri-X 320 so it will stay alive

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks to everyone who took my question seriously and gave their honest answer. I'm not a new film user - I've been developing and printing since 1965, so been there done that except for using Tri-X 320. Given that it's no longer available in roll format, I was seeking some suggestions as how to maximize my use of 320 in terms of its best and/or unique attributes -- and many of you have given me exactly that. I appreciate it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got "lucky" (or unlucky if you will) and got 8 120 rolls with a used Mamiya RZ67 II.

Absolutely love it, it can be used for just about everything you want, but as far as I can remember from when I did some research, I think the film was designed for studio use.
    I got really "wow" when I used it in a studio context.
    I like the fine, smooth grain that it has on 12*16" enlargements for portraits (developed in Rodinal 1:50) and it has a nice "bite" to it as well, and it has a tonal response which render red (like lipstick) very dark, at least with daylight studio strobes, which is what I like.

I found the film to be quite forgiving, because I deliberately overexposed half the roll, to get as much shadow detail as possible, the highlights in the skin were still no problem getting on the print, so it still had latitude for overexposure in that situation at least.

I'm no expert on this film by a long shot, but I really liked it. I have 5 more rolls to go and then I'm all out, that's why I said I was maybe unlucky. =)
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin