Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,024   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Photographic Formula Book

Hi, What are your favorite books on Black & White Photographic Formulas?

The "Chemistry Recipes" listed on apug are interesting, are there some Photo Chemistery books out there worth reading?

I am familiar with Anchell's "Film Developing Cookbook" and "Darkroom Cookbook".

Anchell lists Pat Dignan's "150 Do-It-Yourself Black & White Photographic Formulas" (published in 1977) as a good reference. Has anyone read it?
    Is it worth trying to get?

Thanks for your suggestions. Joseph

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife picked me up a copy of 'Elementary Photographic Chemistry' from Kodak at our library for a buck. Although it is pretty heavy on the chemistry. it is an interesting read from a historical perspective (published in 1936). The interesting part is the rather opiniated description of what each developer is good for. If anyone is interested in particular formulas let me know and I will enter them in the recipe section. Bottom line, look in used book stores, and library discards for manufacturers recipes/giudance on various formulas.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The books I use for formulas are the following...

(as stated above) Darkroom Cookbook, Steve Anchell [what a character].

And Tim Rudmans books:

The Photographer's Toning Book: The Definitive Guide
    Photographer's Master Printing Course
    The Master Photographer's Lith Printing Course: A Definitive Guide to Creative Lith Printing

And finally, Eddie Ephraums books:

Creative Elements: Landscape Photography-Darkroom Techniques
    Gradient Light: The Art and Craft of Using Variable Contrast Paper (snatch it up while you can)
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph

The "Chemistry Recipes" listed on apug are interesting, are there some Photo Chemistery books out there worth reading?

I am familiar with Anchell's "Film Developing Cookbook" and "Darkroom Cookbook".

Anchell lists Pat Dignan's "150 Do-It-Yourself Black & White Photographic Formulas" (published in 1977) as a good reference. Has anyone read it?
    Is it worth trying to get?

Thanks for your suggestions. Joseph
    I have a fairly complete set of Pat Dignan's notes and newsletters. I have published several formulations take from Dignan's notes in the APUG Chemistry section. Is there something in particular you are looking for?

Other good USA references are the Morgan and Morgan Photo Lab Index and the Grant Haist books. There are also a lot of valuable UK and European references.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just a word of warning: Ephraum's book (or at least one of them) has a formula for alkaline fixer that is, to be kind, sub-optimal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Slightly off thread I know, but the information on the following site page may be of interest.
    Rayco
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm

Chemistery Books

Tom, Thanks for info. I do not have any specific questions at this point but would like to improve my laymans understanding of photo chemistry with the goal of mixing a few formulas.

Dave, Thanks for the Rayco website, it is helpful

At moment my best yet quite old basic book is "Photo Chemistry" by George Eaton published by Kodak in 1957.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    In the seventies , we used Phil Davis books on photography, at our college, I was wondering if anyone knows of these books and where a source for them would be, I remember them being very practical and helpful to me .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Slightly off thread I know, but the information on the following site page may be of interest.
    Rayco
    Dave,

Thanks man, but you are a couple of days too late! If only I had known that I can use KRST 1:9 to test for proper fixing, I woudn't have spent the money buying Photo Formulary's halide tester!!! Good info all over that site, thank you very much for posting it.

André R de Avillez

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "What Every Photographer Should Know About Fine Grain Developers" by Edmund Lowe
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin