Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,566   Online: 1092

Shooter
    Multi Format

Developing b/w 616 film

I have the 120 reels. Is there a way to adapt that to the larger 616 format? I have one unused roll of 616 film that I'd love to shoot. (It was given to me as a gift - stored IN THE CAMERA - and old Kodak folding camera). I know that since it was stored in the top of a closet, the film probably won't be all that great but I'm willing to give it a chance. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I do have a large tank that I can use - daylight .... and will be using either D76 or TMax Dev. ;D
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought two older tanks/reels on ebay when I wanted to develop 616. One of them is an FR tank that had a reel you could adjust for 616. I got them pretty cheap, so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There are 116 Nikor reels -- they're just not at all common. (As well as Minox, 16mm, 127, 122, and 118.) Not worth hunting down for one roll.

But the Bakelite adjustable tanks are very common, and most adjust to 116/616.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why not make some plastic sheet and cut out some leaders that match the 616 size, and then clip 120 to it.

You should also consider joining my bulk 70mm purchase pool

I have adapted 120 steel developing reels to arbitrary sizes by cutting the reels in half and putting them back together with hollow aluminum pipe. You just crimp it to whatever length you need.

Since this one roll may not be in good shape anyway, I'd be inclined just to fill a big deep beaker or tray with developer and develop it that way.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not use to old original tray method with a clip on each end of the film. Just back and forth. Works just fine.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmmmm.....I like the idea of using the pipe...since my reels come apart anyway, that might be a good idea. I have a rather large tank I can use. It's an old one which can hold TWO reels of 616 film.

The dip and dunk method I could do...except for the fact that I don't have an entirely dark darkroom. My sons tend to turn the lights on in an adjoining room. The ceiling in the basement doesn't actually meet the walls so there's enough of a light leak that the tray method wouldn't necessarily work.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin