Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,117   Online: 949

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

AristaEDU 100 EI???

I did a search for this information but didn't find anything.
    I know it depends on variables but, what are some of the EI's that have given you good results with this film?
    BTW I am shooting 4x5 sheets.
    Last edited by stradibarrius; 01-25-2012 at 11:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    64 is a good starting point...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on your film developer. From my experience, Xtol is the only developer you can shoot at the "box" ASA. Arista EDU looks good with Xtol. Some fine grain developers like Microdol-X you'll might have to shoot at a lower ASA. But you'll have to run a test.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What kind of light will you be shooting in?

Normal contrast I used this film at EI 80, with modern high contrast lenses, printed with condenser enlarger.

With an older low contrast lens, EI 100 is no problem at all in normal contrast.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Images
    If it is Arista Edu Ultra, I get an ei of 80 also with this film in normal and even a bit more contrasty light. This holds true even with Rodinal. I do not get much of a speed boost with Xtol with this film, though it looks great. (I think there was another film in the past called simpy Arista Edu.) The film slows down quite a bit with exposures longer than 1/2 second.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot it at EI 50 if I plan on developing in Rodinol and full box speed in Pyrocat-HD and D-76. I especially like it in Pyro. I should add, these speeds are for daylight, I use half those speeds for tungsten lighting.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Arista .EDU Ultra is Fomapan (my recent rolls have actually said so on the film edge!), which a lot of people seem to downrate. I've had good luck with it at EI 50, with a slight reduction in development time compared to box speed (for me, 8:30 in PC-TEA 1+50, which usually takes the same times as Xtol 1+2).

I'm not sure, but I think the earlier Arista .EDU films (no "Ultra") were Fortepan---if that's the film you're asking about, disregard everything I said above.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot it at EI 50 and develop for 11 minutes in Pyrocat HD. My personal experience is that it is somewhat fussy about water quality. My first batch were ruined because I mixed the working solution with tap water. Whilst the water is not particularly hard where I live I am not convinced about its quality (it tastes slightly unpleasant). I had no such problems when mixing the working solution in distilled water.

According to Foma's own data reciprocity characteristics are not great. I find I have to make adjustments with exposures of 1 second and more. Combining the low EI I shoot at with small apertures (around f16-f32) and northern European light means I am adjusting more often than not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what I've researched and read here and elsewhere:
    Arista.EDU Ultra = Fomapan
    Arista Premium = Tri-X
    Arista Professional = HP5+

But I could be wrong!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tested Foma 100 and needed 50EI and a big reduction in dev time to tame the contrast. That was 4 or 5 years ago and since then I've had great results from the film.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin