Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,234   Posts: 1,532,933   Online: 1029

Shooter
    Multi Format

How do I mix small amounts of Formulary Hypo Clear Agent

I purchased a package of hypo clear agent (it is powder), I would like to use small batches of this. The package I purchased has 200g sodium sulfite and 2g sodium bisulfite. According to the instructions it recommends mixing 750ml of warm water(125 degrees F) with sodium sulfite first and desolve and then add the sodium bisulfite next, then add cold water to make a total of 1000ml to create a stock solution. Then it recommends mixing from the stock solution a 1:9 ratio. I have been unable to find anything as to how long this stock solution would last. From what I have found it is recommended that it be mixed and then thrown out. Does anyone have suggestions for mixing smaller batches. Any help is appreciated, as I am new to the chemical mixing.

Thanks Elena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not a critical formula and it's the sulphite that's important, the Bisulpite's almost irrelevat.

I make fresh Hypom clear up every time I use it. but it'll last a few weeks or months. You could just split the packets and worry about the sulphite you need a 1-2% solution for actual use.

Welcome to APUG BTW

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Elena and welcome to APUG. I am interested in the answers to your question also.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're way way better off buying a 5lb container of sodium sulfite and mixing up as you need it. The bisulphite is just a preservative for the HCA once it's in liquid form. If you just avoid that and mix as you need it you don't need a preservative and it only costs you 2 minutes to mix 100g with 1000ml of water. Dump after use.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The purpose of the bisulfite is to lower the pH of the HCA to reduce swelling of the emulsion.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One advantage to Permawash. It is a liquid concentrate (probably cost more, however).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HCA is a pretty non-critical mixture of chemicals. In general, you can't mix up partial amounts of a powder formula. But in the case of HCA, you can generally get away with it. Look for the net weight on the container, and proportion accordingly. If the powder in the box hasn't started to clump up, it will probably work.

More generally, try 1 teaspoon of sodium metabisulfite and 4 teaspoons of sodium sulfite per liter of working solution. That formula does not have any of the stain preventing and chelating agents that HCA has, but it works to reduce wash time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin