Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,621   Online: 748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Lith print with normal developer

Hello,
    there're a lot of specialized lith developer; lith process start when a hydroquinone developer is used. Anyone has experience diluting Ilford Multigrade developer to have a lith print? normally it is diluted at 1+9 but maybe with high dilution you can have lith print. Furthermore i red that old and exausted developer is better to have lith print.
    Any experience?

thanks
    Paolo

ps. the same question for tetenal Eukobrom developer...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A lith developer has a high PH, often around 11. It is (usually) low in bromide, and high in hydroquinone compared to sulphite content. According to Tim Rudman, it is possible to simulate an infectious development process with a dilute MG dev, but you need to add a hydroxide solution to raise the PH first.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    so if i'd dilute my 1:9 mutligrade dev to 1:50 or 1:100 i will always have a Ph problem?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yep.....that said, I was able to get sodium hydroxide from the hardware store as drain cleaner (highly caustic, use gloves, need to read lable to get right stuff). If you do use NaOH, make sure you add it slowly to the developer stirring. It heats up as it dissolves. Anyway, you'll need ph strips or a ph meter (I have a cheap one for aquariums). I'd just get the real lith developer. Life is short. Also, diluting regular developer isn't the same as diluting lith developer. You'd need to experiment with the dilution. Sounds like an interesting experiment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    maybe with Na2CO3 (Sodium carbonate) would be less dangerous...and it could be found as easily as sodium hidroxide, ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sodium carbonate is not going to provide the high pH needed. You need sodium hydroxide. Be careful some drain cleaners contain aluminum turnings or other chemicals. The aluminum generates gas and provides agitation in the drain. Buy plain lye such as Red Devil brand.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    mmmmhh so i think i'll go with a lith dev...
    thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You can look at this recipe, http://www.apug.org/forums/forum222/...developer.html , if you would like to mix your own lith developer.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks, i think i'll start with homemade recipes. Lith developers are too expensive...thanks
    but i red about a Tetenal Neutol NE high dilution that provides lith results...do you know? (and with eukobrom?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi eskimo,
    Moersch in Germany sells f.ex. Easylith and at a very reasonable price:

http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/content/shop/lith/34

peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin