Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,313   Online: 830

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a very deep red filter, which was pricey.

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear BradleyK,

Try them ahead of time and don't discount SFX. While it does not look like other infrared films, I personally find the images attractive. Where to start? I always start with the manufacturer's recommendations.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did a bit of work with IR in the summer of 2010 and have a few random observations.

SLRs make it difficult -- you can't see squat through an IR filter. My experience decades earlier was with a 4x5 and a wireframe finder. Using my Bronica SQ-A (arguably my best film camera) I got way too much practice installing and removing filters.

The best of what I think of as IR effects was with the Efke IR820 material (I used the non-aura version in 120). I don't think it's as nice grain and resolution-wise as the Rollei IR400.

For strong IR effects, a 760 nM filter works well with the IR820; needs lo-o-ong exposure -- as in 12 stops over unfiltered -- with the IR400. A 720 nM filter may give a bit less effect, but easier exposures.

Assuming use of a small aperture to help compensate for IR focusing being slightly different, exposures can run to seconds, so assume tripod work.

IR400 is also a very nice pan film without the filter, but alas, it costs about as much as two or three rolls of other nice pan film.

The manufacturers recommend shooting one frame without a filter and at the claimed ISO to verify your camera/exposure/processing. That's a pretty good idea, especially on the first roll.

Bracketing exposure is a Good Thing(tm).

There is a fairly long thread from a while back that may be useful.

Have fun with it!

DaveT
    Last edited by DWThomas; 01-30-2012 at 04:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still have some Konica IR 750 in 120... frozen... you see IR effects even with deep orange filter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin