Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,595   Online: 907

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Substitute for Dektol

I normally use other paper developers, but I have a small project I'm going to be working on that I need a simlar type of paper developer to Dektol - in chemical make-up not in look/appearance. Now that Kodak is out of the picture, does anyone know what is the equal from Ilford, Edwal, or whoever to Dektol? I have some Ilford Multigrade developer - is that about the same?
    Dan's website: www.dandozer.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There's plenty of Dektol around. Kodak is undergoing restructuring, and hasn't just disappeared as
    if it were abducted by aliens. Any camera shop still selling the most basic darkroom supplies should have it. Or you can find a substitute from someone like Photographer's Formulary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll have no problem buying Dektol. Kodak farmed out production if their darkroom chemicals to a third-party company a few years back if memory serves. Freestyle sells a Dektol equivalent too. And Ilford Multigrade will work just fine.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Large Format
    D-72 can be mixed from basic chemicals and is essentially the same as Dektol (so say Kodak). But, Drew is correct. Kodak has NOT been vaporized....it is just going through restructuring. Just the same as Chrysler did a while back...and even Ilford. Besides, Kodak spun off the photo chemistry division years ago and so, photo chemical products are very much unaffected by the present dust storm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where are you located, I have several one pint packets that you can have for postage.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ordered 4 1 gal packs from BH a few weeks ago. Lots around.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Dan,

As others have said, Dektol is still available. You may also like to try Liquidol: http://stores.photoformulary.com/-st...per/Detail.bok I have had very good results with it.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As has been said, D72 if you are a mixer and Ethol LPD is great too. Plenty of Dektol still around though, so I wouldn't sweat too much just yet...so convenient and easy to mix.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kodak's still around, Dektol is plentiful and isn't going anywhere.

Use Dektol. It's the most like Dektol of any developer out there. Except for Dektol, of course.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    I normally use other paper developers, but I have a small project I'm going to be working on that I need a simlar type of paper developer to Dektol - in chemical make-up not in look/appearance. Now that Kodak is out of the picture, does anyone know what is the equal from Ilford, Edwal, or whoever to Dektol? I have some Ilford Multigrade developer - is that about the same?
    mix your own:
    Attached Files
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin