Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,460   Online: 954

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    Elmore Leonard once wrote an entire book around his 10 rules of writing. Every night, David Letterman has his “Top Ten” list. Even God had his 10 rules, although He called them Commandments. I guess you can get away with that when you are God.

snip

1. There is no principle that states that darkrooms are like black holes that attract every unsuspecting dust mote that happens to be passing by, where it inevitably settles onto the negative currently in your enlarger. Dust can be defeated. Clean your darkroom once in awhile. Keep the door shut to keep out dust and things like cats that bring dust into the darkroom. On one of your innumerable trips to the home improvement store, buy a little HEPA air cleaner for your darkroom. The reward for a really clean darkroom is almost never having to spot prints.

end snip
    You could always do the dead opposite. Never ever clean your darkroom. Let the dust accumulate, as a matter of fact, let it become so thick that it settles it self down. With any luck, a bit of moisture will help stick that crap all together and will hopefully attract more dust to it.

Like I say to my wife when she demands that I do some housework. Why stir up the dust – it’s only going to make the things that are not dusty, dusty and get up your nose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I especially like #1, but #1 is pretty good too.

It's a good list, I can personally vouch for the wisdom of pretty much all of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought it was binary. 0 is not a guideline and 1 is a guideline.

Hope your new darkroom goes to 11.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dont forget the music! Silence punctuated by safelight buzz, and enlargers powering off and on will drive you mad after 6hrs.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was looking forward to an update where the important points 2 to 10 was mentioned. I supposed the first ten number ones was enough for one posting. :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Dont forget the music! Silence punctuated by safelight buzz, and enlargers powering off and on will drive you mad after 6hrs.
    You beat me to this. I do like my radio/CD player in my darkroom.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent list. Full of truth. However, I notice one glaring omission (to me) that perhaps is simply implied, rather than omitted: running water.

I know that there have been many discussions here about how you can do it with trays and buckets. That is surely better than no darkroom at all. But if one is building a purpose built room, installing more than enough electrical outlets, the largest sink possible, and HVAC (all of which I whole-heartedly agree with) you must have adequate plumbing. Otherwise, you have contradicted the last guideline.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    With your abundance of storage space develop a system of knowing what's in the boxes containing something you will need immediately although they haven't been opened for 5-10 years.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'd add a deep sink in addition to the shallower darkroom sink and a small toilet room accessible from the darkroom, both for when nature calls and for dumping chemicals.

Otherwise, I'm copying this list so I can use it when I build my next darkroom.

Thanks for posting this,

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Excellent list. Full of truth. However, I notice one glaring omission (to me) that perhaps is simply implied, rather than omitted: running water.

I know that there have been many discussions here about how you can do it with trays and buckets. That is surely better than no darkroom at all. But if one is building a purpose built room, installing more than enough electrical outlets, the largest sink possible, and HVAC (all of which I whole-heartedly agree with) you must have adequate plumbing. Otherwise, you have contradicted the last guideline.

David: Your assumption that running water is implied is correct. Also, I considered a separate guideline covering the "challenges" of extending plumbing, but I am still traumatized by the day I spent getting all of my connections watertight.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin