Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,432   Online: 1120

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I place my squeeged FB prints face down on a plastic window screen. I then place another screen right on top of them. This keeps them pretty flat. The rest of the curl is removed in a dry mount press. As someone mentioned, the slower the prints dry, the less curl they'll tend to have.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    My advice regarding the print dryer is to confine it to the waste dump or sell it to some unsuspecting photographer, preferably one that you hate.
    Thanks for trashing my prints, Les...

I never have curled print....you just have to adjust the heat, and the prints come out nice, dry and NOT curly...!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Huram
    3. Is their an good way to dry fiber prints without a blotting cloth? Where can I get some?
    Huram
    I've never heard of a bloting "cloth" but I do have a blotting "paper" book. It worked fine the first time I used each page, but the print emulsion started to stick to the page after that. Turned out to be more of a pain in the a** than helpful. Then screen method was the one that has been suggested the most (I asked the same ? a few months ago). I have also tried the hang two together method, (thanks Les and Gerald who seems to be at work), worked fine. Still some curl. but easier to handle. Sorry not brave enough to do the carpet thing, the Mrs' would either step on it or kill me... likely both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=modafoto]Thanks for trashing my prints, Les...

Sorry Morten but I wasn't trashing your prints, just your drier I hate the things.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    FB prints will dry perfectly flat if you tape them to a glas sheet with tape that aquarelpainters use to tape their paper. I t can be bought in art supplyshops.
    You lose a bit of paper because you have to cut the edges though.

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't think was trashing anyones prints, but I agree with him on the style of dryer..worse thing about them is the cloth can become contaminated and then it get really unpleasant. But Hey, if it is working for you then it is the right thing..mileage differs with each one of us and that is part of the reason I keep coming back - that and to hear more stories about Jorge's otter.
    Last edited by photomc; 11-08-2004 at 06:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: because my fingers don't always work on this silly keyboard!
    Mike C

Rambles

Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder
    FB prints will dry perfectly flat if you tape them to a glas sheet with tape that aquarelpainters use to tape their paper. I t can be bought in art supplyshops.
    You lose a bit of paper because you have to cut the edges though.

Jaap Jan
    I tape as well,and the result is perfectly flat prints with no "dry down."
    A little extra work, but for me, it's worth it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I know that some use the glass and tape method but I quickly came to conclusion that IF I was going to use fiber papers - I would have to get a press - It cost as much as a good camera but I couln't do without it - Oh .. yeah - you can mount your prints with it as well.

I let my prints hang dry with cloths pins - I don't squeegie. I then put the press at 210F and let it warm up with two sheets of blotter paper in it. With no pressure but the weight of the platten, I sandwitch the print in between the blotters and let the top rest on it for a few minutes. When I remove the print, I let it cool between two large plates of glass. This gets them as flat as they can get. - After all - it is all cotten with gelitin on one side - there will always be some small curl to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know some people are going to hate this answer... but putting the prints (one at a time) in the microwave for 30 seconds works fairly well. They still need to be pressed, though, but it works for me. I would probably use screens if I had them. I've never tried hanging from a line. I've also tried blotter books and drying on a piece of glass, and I prefer the screens and microwave methods. -Grant

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Rogueish, you could just try an off print on the carpet to see how it works for you. I think a deeper pile works best as air can circulate better.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin