Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,412   Online: 770

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Not questionable reasoning, just a cautious aprehension
    You misread my post. I agree with you really!

I was saying that logic and common sense would suggest that it wasn't a good idea. However, it's sometimes a good idea to do things which are not a good idea (?) as if we don't, we won't learn or discover new things.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    You misread my post. I agree with you really!

I was saying that logic and common sense would suggest that it wasn't a good idea. However, it's sometimes a good idea to do things which are not a good idea (?) as if we don't, we won't learn or discover new things.

Steve.
    serendepity is rarer than one thinks
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    serendepity is rarer than one thinks
    But it is also very valuable.

~~~

I agree with Steve; if I hadn't simply done my own experiments, I wouldn't have discovered that what some people were saying was complete parroted nonsense. Not just in this case but in many others cases where somebody said you can't, you shouldn't....

Notice how some people here are saying they did it and it worked; others are saying maybe you will get this or that.... implying that they haven't actually done it.

I've been doing partial batches of all photographic chems for years. No issues whatsoever. Am I just lucky? Undiscerning? Assisted by the gods of good fortune...? Maybe karma will come up and bite me in the ass one day and one whole roll of film will be slightly misdeveloped, ouch.
    Last edited by keithwms; 02-02-2012 at 09:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Once i put this question to the shop where i buy chemicals (they're very competent) she told me not do that. In her advice all the powder should be mixed at the same time. In any case i wouldn't do it. In case the partially mixed solution doesn't work properly your roll is lost forever. Consider that the mixed solution has a reasonable expiry time range (if i'm not wrong it's about 6 months when properly stored). Buona fortuna

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an idea for you.

Purchase one 1 liter packet and mix that up. Then take 10% of the powder you bought for the 10 liter bag, and mix another liter. Mix the two together for a 2 liter batch, which you keep to use. When you are down to 1 liter, you mix another 10% and add it to the existing liter, and so on.

This minimizes the impact of a possible slight difference there might be from one portion of your large bag to the next.

Be very careful to store the remaining D76 powder in a container with as little air in it as possible, and without moisture getting to it.

Quote Originally Posted by InsuredDisaster View Post
    EDIT: AW CRAP! I see this has been answered before. First post and I just post an overasked question. My bad. Mods, feel free to delete this turd.

I'm a cheap bastard and have 100+ rolls of BW film sitting in a big box so I figured rather than buy 1 gallong bags of D76, I'd buy a 10 gallon bag. But then it arrived (actually Legacy Pro L76) and suddenly I've got cold feet. My plan was to just use 10% of the bag at a time, but my concern is that I'll pour in an unbalanced mix of powered chemicals. I'm assuming that there are actually a number of different powered chemicals in the bag, and instead of having a mix of 50-50 (say if there were only 2 chemicals) I'll end up with a mix of 30-70 or something awful like that and end up with a useless batch off D76.

So, can I mix just 10% of the bag at a time or would that ensure a disaster?

Thanks.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Take the larger bag, mix it thoroughly, pinch it off half way.. no air will reach the unused portion. Aha! Tie it off, and that half bag is now as virgin and untouched by the foul elements as before; if any air is in there, it was the exasperated last gasp of a Kodaker in the factory...

If I were a salesperson I would probably also suggest buying a smaller bag rather than dividing: you pay more for the same amount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NO. Absolutely not.

The constituent ingredients do not disperse uniformly throughout the volume,
    so a portion of that volume will not have the right amount of each ingredient.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you simply shake it well ahead of time and divide as I described there will be no issues. I have been doing it for years with absolutely no ill effects. So... either I am just a lucky guy or this salesman's theory really is as much bunk as it sounds like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I have been doing it for years with absolutely no ill effects. So... either I am just a lucky guy or this salesman's theory really is as much bunk as it sounds like.
    No, not lucky. I suspect your standards of quality are not up to those of the manufacturer.

Shaking WILL NOT evenly disperse powdered chemicals in a container. I don't care how hard you shake it or for now long.

That's utter nonsense.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I generally make a gallon of D-76 at once, but I store it in multiple half gallon or smaller bottles, filled to the very top. I have had stock solution stored like this perfectly usable after a year or more. If the year old D-76 is in any way less worthy than the brand new stuff, I have not detected it. Partially filled containers get yellow within a month or so.
    Louis
    (Paladin1420)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin