Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,870   Posts: 1,583,320   Online: 1136

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Can I mix only part of a bag of D76?

EDIT: AW CRAP! I see this has been answered before. First post and I just post an overasked question. My bad. Mods, feel free to delete this turd.

I'm a cheap bastard and have 100+ rolls of BW film sitting in a big box so I figured rather than buy 1 gallong bags of D76, I'd buy a 10 gallon bag. But then it arrived (actually Legacy Pro L76) and suddenly I've got cold feet. My plan was to just use 10% of the bag at a time, but my concern is that I'll pour in an unbalanced mix of powered chemicals. I'm assuming that there are actually a number of different powered chemicals in the bag, and instead of having a mix of 50-50 (say if there were only 2 chemicals) I'll end up with a mix of 30-70 or something awful like that and end up with a useless batch off D76.

So, can I mix just 10% of the bag at a time or would that ensure a disaster?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not reliably, doesn't mix/isn't mixed in a uniform manner as a powder so you don't really know what you will get if you mix a partial batch.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I mix partial batches all the time, it works well without any issues.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You're not supposed to, but i've done it before without any ill effects.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think your reel will unroll and film tank will explode if you do that.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I think your reel will unroll and film tank will explode if you do that.
    Definitely explode. Yes...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello InsuredDisaster and welcome to APUG. Interesting name, I won't ask you how to came to choose that. Anyway, rather than risk having a problem, mix up all of it and then use as much of it as you can. It does keep awhile if in bottles filled to the brim.

Perhap if there are other photographers near you, you could share it with them.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by InsuredDisaster View Post
    EDIT: AW CRAP! I see this has been answered before. First post and I just post an overasked question. My bad. Mods, feel free to delete this turd.

I'm a cheap bastard and have 100+ rolls of BW film sitting in a big box so I figured rather than buy 1 gallong bags of D76, I'd buy a 10 gallon bag. But then it arrived (actually Legacy Pro L76) and suddenly I've got cold feet. My plan was to just use 10% of the bag at a time, but my concern is that I'll pour in an unbalanced mix of powered chemicals. I'm assuming that there are actually a number of different powered chemicals in the bag, and instead of having a mix of 50-50 (say if there were only 2 chemicals) I'll end up with a mix of 30-70 or something awful like that and end up with a useless batch off D76.

So, can I mix just 10% of the bag at a time or would that ensure a disaster?

Thanks.
    yes, you can, but you may get sa partly developed film
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The people who advise not to do this are being guided by questionable reasoning such as logic and common sense.

If you think you can give the dry ingredients a good mix before you divide it up, there should be no problems.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not questionable reasoning, just a cautious aprehension to seperating dry chems that most likely are not a true homogenous blend. But, what the heck, go for it. The worst that can happen is not all rolls will develope the same. The best that can happen is you are happy with the results.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin