Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,054   Online: 971

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm Pan

Mysterious film?? Arista/Ilford??

Hi Guys,
    recently I bought some 125ASA Mysterious 120 film. No expiry date, no manufacturer, other than "made in England".
    Any idea is it Ilford film sold under Arista brand?? How long ago they stop selling rebranded Ilford?
    I processed two rolls in HC110 and there is some base fog.
    Film is for my 16 year old son project and he is going to "burn it" in Holga.
    Thank you in advance!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1571.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	45545

Shooter
    Large Format
    Maybe Ultrafine. Many of us assume it was made by Ilford, but Ilford denies that. Seemed the same (at least in large format) as the made in England stuff Freestyle sold at that time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There aren't too many ISO 125 films made in England. In fact, I can only think of one!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Plus-X was made in the UK from it's introduction with Tri-X in 1939 (sheet film only until after WWII), not sure what date production stopped.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    16 years ago, or so Freestyle was selling something they called "England's Finest", which was certainly FP-4. Came in a simple white pack. I shot a ton of it, it was very inexpensive.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Well, for sure it was produced after 1939! :-)) Wrappers for it look dry and tired, even film was stored in big bulk cardboard box (most likely for 100 rolls). Previous owner did not keep it in fridge, at least for last few years and he wasn't able to tell me more about it. Did Kentmere produced films before being bought by Ilford. I have seen only their papers in '90s?

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Hi Erikg, it had similar package as one on the picture??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No Kentmere films in the modern era until post Harmon. That box does sound like the way I got the stuff from Freestyle. Any edge printing?

Just saw your post: yes it did have a similar package, to the best of my memory.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
    Well, for sure it was produced after 1939! :-)) Wrappers for it look dry and tired, even film was stored in big bulk cardboard box (most likely for 100 rolls). Previous owner did not keep it in fridge, at least for last few years and he wasn't able to tell me more about it. Did Kentmere produced films before being bought by Ilford. I have seen only their papers in '90s?
    The foil wrapper of your film has a "look" (bold black-on-white printing, and style of lettering?) of the old pre-Harman Ilford branding.
    Kentmere hasn't produced film (unless it produced something way back in the 1930's? There were a few small UK manufacturers up to, maybe, the 1960's, but not recently enough to use the heat-sealed foil wrapper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have no idea as to what your film is or how old but when I started using Ilford MF film a number (?) of years ago the gummed paper at the end of the roll to keep it closed was mint flavored. If your film has that feature it's probably a clue.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin