Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,850   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 748

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expensive film!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My local shop tries to be competetive with online retailers... And even gets close most times. Except for Ilford products, which are much cheaper online.

Chemistry is another matter which baffles me. My local shop is usually 10%-20% less than online sellers
    I'm guessing they take a loss on that. But it keeps me coming back!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My local sources are about 25 - 30% higher than the least expensive internet sources for something like TMY 120. I have to pay tax on top, but no shipping .

If I travel down to Seattle, Glazer's is close to internet prices, but some tax gets added there as well.

I'm comfortable paying the difference.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry, forgot that I do not have the location information in my user. I am from Portugal, little town of Figueira da Foz.
    I order my films from the onlineshops of Lisbon or Porto. Prices are good, apx at 2.50, tmax/tri-x at 4.60, etc. I just wanted to share a bit of insane prices due to be b&w films (or just films). If the prices in that photographer were cheap or at least "normal", I glady buy it, but with a film being 5€ more, no way.
    I understand that they do not sell film as they sold year's ago, but with those prices, I think they will not sell at all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    film IS expensive !

prices of 4x5 film has pretty much doubled ( more than doubled ) in the last 10years
    ( in 2001 100sh box of tmy SHIPPED from b+h was 65$, last year, 50sh box from b+h SHIPPED 75$ )

photography is an expensive pursuit, but lots of fun.
    look for expired film, sometimes you can get a deal on it, and sometimes you "get what you pay for"

i mainly shoot expired film ( all formats 110-8x10 ) and expired paper ( for prints, as well as paper negatives 4x5-7x15 )

happy hunting !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Freestyle still has some very good deals.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    127 Format
    Some stores figure that since they sell less film than before they have to charge more.

It reminds me of the old depression story of the boy selling apples. A well dressed man in a long limousine pulls over and asks the boy,"how much for an apple, kid."

The boy replies, "$1,000 !"

The man chuckles, "You're not going to sell many apples at that price, son."

Kid answers, "I only gotta sell ONE, mister."
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    It reminds me of the old depression story of the boy selling apples. A well dressed man in a long limousine pulls over and asks the boy,"how much for an apple, kid."

Actually I think I pay less for most analogue supplies (film included) than in the goold old analogue days. Back then everything came from brick & mortar, today I get it online. It makes all the difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heck go to the internet. I sure that you can find some place that will sell some film.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Some stores figure that since they sell less film than before they have to charge more.

Retail price is largely determined by volume. If the gross volume declines due to a drop in demand, the price rises. This is usually driven by the channel ordering process through distribution costs. Retailers often have little control. They either drop their margins or drop the product. Dropping margins is financial suicide, so they charge what they have to. Dropping the price of film will not increase sales in the face of digital, unfortunately. That price decrease would have to come from the factory.

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    From a european point of view I would recomend you to look at the web-pages for Fotoimpex in Berlin and Silverprint in London. They both have a good suply of both film and paper. When it comes to film, Fotoimpex is slightly less expensive and when it it comes to Ilford paper
    Silverprint has definitely the best prices. Silverprint can not send chemicals out from the UK but Fotoimpex can send out of Germany. To Fotoimpex you pay in Euro and to Silverprint in GBP ( Pounds ). Within Europe the costs for postage are not astronomical. Both companies are well organized and reliable. I enclose links to their web-pages so you can look for yourself.
    Good luck !

Karl-Gustaf

http://www.fotoimpex.de/
    http://www.silverprint.co.uk/
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin