Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,981   Online: 798

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rollei ATP 1.1 in 120, tips to prevent curling?

I souped my first roll of ATP 1.1 in 120 last night, Rodinal 1/300. Film came out clean, but curled like a taquito, had to tape it in a glass carrier ( of which I did neg in upsided down and got newton rings ).

I would like to be able to use this film in medium format but the curling issue....wow, what a drag.
    Anyone come up with a reliable way to minimize this downside?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Keep the back paper with the spool. After drying, roll up the film inverse in the spool and let it there for some days.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by piu58 View Post
    Keep the back paper with the spool. After drying, roll up the film inverse in the spool and let it there for some days.
    Thanks!

I knew there was another reason to keep my backing paper and spools, I'll give it a try!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I think that worked, thanks!

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PKM, film curl is pretty much dictated by gelatin <> base ratio. Humidity affects this by altering the contraction/expansion of the gelatin against the base.

People have tried all kinds of tricks short of parking their car on top of cut negatives, but in the end the gelatin will still almost always pull the base inwards because that's what it wants to do. Jacking up the humidity helps counter-act this, but if you're in a low humidity environment then fully expect super-curl to happen.

Some films are better than others in the curl department because, IMO, the manufacturer has less aggressive gelatin to base ratio. PE would have some thoughts on this for sure.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    When Kodak came out with non-curling film (over 100 years ago), they coated both sides of the film base with gelatin. Emulsion on one side, clear gelatin on the other.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I souped my first roll of ATP 1.1 in 120 last night, Rodinal 1/300. Film came out clean, but curled like a taquito, had to tape it in a glass carrier ( of which I did neg in upsided down and got newton rings ).

I would like to be able to use this film in medium format but the curling issue....wow, what a drag.
    Anyone come up with a reliable way to minimize this downside?
    Dry the roll film 120 always in an fairly dry and cold place! I never had any problems with curling of polyester film materials, 35mm or roll film 120!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin