Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,327   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Three roll tanks.. Are they worth the time savings or should i stay with single roll?

I have always used generic single roll plastic tanks but now im thinking of using three roll tanks just to save time on cleaning afterwards. I recently bought a Paterson 3 roll tank but what worries me is the time it will take to drain the developer and fill back up with the stop. Am i being paranoid or should i have a concern about uneven development because of the draining and filling times? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're using HC110 just use a good dilution that gives you longer times.
    I have one of those gargantuan pattersons (4-5 roll) also but haven't used it much.

I'm more worried about inverting the thing and getting good agitation technique with that much developer.
    Hope it doesn't leak either but the patterson lids are generally better tham the screw on type which I have a large one of those also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your fill time, and your drain time, are fairly close, it evens out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What concerns me is that i use Rodinal 1+25 and enjoy the contrast and dont want to lose it by going 1+50 or more. My development times are only 4 minutes so the draining time and filling times will extend the length of time the negatives are in contact with the developer. Also i'm sure the film will not be complete coated with developer after the developer drains so im worried about spotted areas of over development..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cantore View Post
    What concerns me is that i use Rodinal 1+25 and enjoy the contrast and dont want to lose it by going 1+50 or more. My development times are only 4 minutes so the draining time and filling times will extend the length of time the negatives are in contact with the developer. Also i'm sure the film will not be complete coated with developer after the developer drains so im worried about spotted areas of over development..
    4 minutes would concern me even in a small tank.
    I'm glad you're getting good results with the smaller tank.

I guess you could test with the larger system but I'm not real optimistic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Paterson 3 roll tanks have the added advantage of being the right size for 2 rolls of 120, so I highly recommend them.

They fill and empty in just about the same amount of time as my single steel-reel tanks (quickly!) so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Just be consistent in how you deal with them.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cantore View Post
    Times shorter than 5 minutes runs the risk of uneven development, I for one would never chance that. Why rush any portion of the process.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using the 3 roll tanks for many years (close to 40)with no problems even with C41 or E6, they only use a litre of chemistry and they are quick to fill nad empty.

I also use the larger tanks occasionally and again haven't had a problem, I like to be able to process 3 rolls of 120 in one tank.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian makes a very good point. If Paterson 3 roll tanks work well with the 3:15 times needed for C-41, then 4 minute times are certainly doable.

Short times do require good, repeatable technique though.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I definitely dont want to risk anything and wind up with uneven development so i will try the 2 reels with the top third reel being empty so i proper flow while inverting the tank. Rick.. I have been using Rodinal 1+25 with the 4 minute developing time for several years and have never had a single roll with uneven development. Thank you to everyone for the great advice. I appreciate it very much!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin