Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,714   Online: 803

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Best film for Switzerland?

I have a friend who will be shooting in the mountains of Switzerland this month. She will be using 4x5 and would like some advice on which of these films she should by and what ASA would be best. I know nothing of either of these films but I think these are her only choices: EFKE PL or Rollei ATO.

Thanks for any advice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I apologize for this.

Something with a very neutral response.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is no best. There is what you have, to be used properly, and that's all.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Definitely something with perforations

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Kodak, Ilford or Fuji.

all kidding aside, use the film she is most familiar with.
    Don't change horses just before entering new territory.

Any number of people will probably weigh in with their
    favorites but - favorites, IMO, come from familiarity/experience
    with the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dasBlute View Post
    all kidding aside, use the film she is most familiar with.
    Don't change horses just before entering new territory.
    Excellent advice.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Tori, tell your friend to buy some very warm clothes instead and to take care in the mountains. Europe suffers from an extremely cold winter.

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fo...cke-78188.html
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    There is no best. There is what you have, to be used properly, and that's all.
    +1

The only thing I'd add is that on any truly important shots, shoot 4 sheets.

Developed 1 at a time, that allows for changes in development if needed and to recover from film defects, bad luck, and human error if needed.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @ Matt, had to finish my coffee before I got that one - HAHAHAHA (delayed, but heartfelt response)
    @ Keith, dasBlute, pbromaghin, & Mark - this is her first outing with 4x5 except for 4 sheets of HP5 she shot while visiting me in October. She has never processed any or had a chance to do any testing with different films to find what she likes best. She has an extremely limited budget to work with.
    @ cmo, my friend lives in Moscow, LOL, so I think she might be set for cold weather.

I have tried to get Galja to introduce herself to the group but she is rather shy until she gets to know people. She is truly a gifted photographer with a raw talent and was being mentored by Per Volquartz (who introduced us). You can see her work here: http://www.galinakarpova.com/introduction.html The introduction was written as a tribute to her work, by Per.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori Nelson View Post
    @ Matt, had to finish my coffee before I got that one - HAHAHAHA (delayed, but heartfelt response)
    @ Keith, dasBlute, pbromaghin, & Mark - this is her first outing with 4x5 except for 4 sheets of HP5 she shot while visiting me in October. She has never processed any or had a chance to do any testing with different films to find what she likes best. She has an extremely limited budget to work with.
    @ cmo, my friend lives in Moscow, LOL, so I think she might be set for cold weather.

I have tried to get Galja to introduce herself to the group but she is rather shy until she gets to know people. She is truly a gifted photographer with a raw talent and was being mentored by Per Volquartz (who introduced us). You can see her work here: http://www.galinakarpova.com/introduction.html The introduction was written as a tribute to her work, by Per.
    Tori, I recognize both you and Galina from Facebook and other places, and it's good to see you here too!

I've admired her work for a long time; she really has a true gift. Regarding film it doesn't really matter what she uses. But to take a 4x5 camera after having shot only four sheets, on a trip to Europe, is a bit risky, to be honest. Sheet film gets easily fogged in airport X-ray machines, for example. If she's using a tripod, I'd be using a film with the lowest possible ISO rating, in order to avoid that problem.
    If you can, please have her use the same film she uses for 35mm and other formats, as that would introduce as few variables as possible, and bring a roll film camera as back-up if she finds she gets stuck with the sheets.

Good luck!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin