Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,596   Online: 1106

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    I have always liked Tri-X in FG-7 mixed with a 9% Sodium Sulfite solution. Relatively sharp with smooth grain.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was an advocate of FG-7 for a long while too (until I couldn't get it in Hawaii for hazmat issues -- JUST LIKE RODINAL!!!). There's also a variant for tabular-grain films, it was a longtime favorite with Delta (my standard kits in the early 90's: rodinal/tg-7/hc-d)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    To clear things out. The Church of Rodinal will just ignore this thread and pretend the question was never asked.

*sad priest*

Morten
    I thought for sure Morten's answer to this question would simply be "death"

hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "If I want to try the opposite of Rodinal, i.e. a lower acutance, very fine grain developer, what does everyone like?"

Not that I like it much but Microdol-X used full strength is definitely a finer grain, less sharp developer. I don't know if it's still available--I haven't used it in many years.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clay
    Well, ya know, good old D-23 has so much sulfite in it that it smooths and reduces the grain quite well. It is one of the simplest formulas around.
    I'm with you on this. D-23 - with optional borax afterbath - is has the simplest of all formulas (opposite of Rodinal), gives very low acutance (unlike Rodinal), smooth "mushy" grain (unlike Rodinal) and is very, very cheap (unlike Rodinal). If used with the borax afterbath it lasts just about forever (as working solution, unlike Rodinal)...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Images
    Have you gone to unblinkingeye.com to catch the article about adding Ascorbate to Rodinal to reduce grain?
    I just did. Also of interest was the Rodinal/Xtol mix. I might just give that a shot.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although I'm doing everything in either Rodinal or Pyrocat-HD these days, another possibility for the characteristics you're looking for is undiluted Perceptol. It was my old favorite for these sorts of things before I discovered Pyrocat-HD.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Images
    I've really been intrigued about the references on APUG to Pat Gainer's PC-TEA. Sounds like it's right up my alley (Ouch! I hate that metaphor).

Might be time to put an order in to the formulary.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try some simple D-23 with a 3:1 dilution you should get great midtones for portrait work. It is rumoored that D-23 was first formulated by kodak for use with studio lighting.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Microdol-X is still available and it is probably the closest thing you'll get to an opposite of Rodinal. I don't like it much either since I don't have any real use for it. XTOL or D-76 fit the bill perfectly for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin