Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,697   Online: 847

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Images

The opposite of Rodinal

Since I started shooting seriously a few years ago, I've tended towards slow film and acutance developers, typically Rodinal. I've used HC-110; it's OK. I've played with staining developers with WD2D+; great when it works out, but I have trouble with consistency.

If I want to try the opposite of Rodinal, i.e. a lower acutance, very fine grain developer, what does everyone like? My typical films are FP4 and APX100, with an occasional Efke thrown in.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Large Format
    I really like Pyrocat HD, and unlike the pyrogallol developers it is not as prone to uneven stainning and it is the most consistent of the stainning developers I have used. OTOH, the middle tone separation is not as good as that with Rodinal, but it is not far off, I think you would like it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
    If I want to try the opposite of Rodinal, i.e. a lower acutance, very fine grain developer, what does everyone like? My typical films are FP4 and APX100, with an occasional Efke thrown in.
    Do you want it in kit form, or pre-mixed liquid, or mix it from scratch?
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Images
    Thanks, Jorge, that was one that I was thinking about. As I said, I liked the WD2D+ when it worked out, but my experience was that, with film, exposure, and processing being apparently equal, I got wide swings in negative density. I'm a condenser guy, so I prefer a thinner negative.

I have no complaints about Rodinal or HC-110. They're easy to use, and especially with Rodinal, I get negs that are blazing sharp. But, I'm starting to do more people photography (as opposed to landscape), and unless the subject has flawless skin, an acutance developer can be brutal. I'd like to find something with smoother tonality.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Images
    Do you want it in kit form, or pre-mixed liquid, or mix it from scratch?
    Garryl: any of the three is fine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To clear things out. The Church of Rodinal will just ignore this thread and pretend the question was never asked.

*sad priest*

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Microdol-X in kit form is the closest IMHO

PPD developers (old stuff) should be what you need.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
    Thanks, Jorge, that was one that I was thinking about. As I said, I liked the WD2D+ when it worked out, but my experience was that, with film, exposure, and processing being apparently equal, I got wide swings in negative density. I'm a condenser guy, so I prefer a thinner negative.

I have no complaints about Rodinal or HC-110. They're easy to use, and especially with Rodinal, I get negs that are blazing sharp. But, I'm starting to do more people photography (as opposed to landscape), and unless the subject has flawless skin, an acutance developer can be brutal. I'd like to find something with smoother tonality.
    I am a big fan of Pyrocat-HD. However, given your requirements, another developer worth serious consideration is Agfa 8. It is similar to Rodinal but is finer grained and gives excellent skin tones. The shelf life is very good, as well.

Agfa 8

Water (125 F or 52 C) - 50.0 ml
    Sodium Sulfite (anhy) - 12.5 grams
    Glycin - 2.0 grams
    Potassium Carbonate (anhy) - 25.0 grams
    Water to make - 1.0 liter
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    To clear things out. The Church of Rodinal will just ignore this thread and pretend the question was never asked.
    What if we just put it in Rodinal bottles?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    What if we just put it in Rodinal bottles?
    Pure blasphemy to the One!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin