Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,165   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Less Known Printing Practices

I was just wondering if you guys could enlighten me on some lesser know printing practices, in the light of flashing paper. A description on what it does, and a basic knowledge on how to do it/ a link to where I could find how to do it, would be fantastic.

Thanks
    Hunter White
    flickr.mynameishunter.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I strongly recommend purchasing Way Beyond Monochrome http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

One of the authors, Ralph, is an active member here (Not sure about Chris).

It is the best modern text on monochrome printing by far

You might be interested in an article on the Film Photography Project web site. It is an introduction to lith printing, designed to help people get into lith. http://filmphotographyproject.com/co...hat-lith-print

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Les McLean has a nice description on flashing and fogging on his website:

http://www.lesmcleanphotography.com/...ull&article=27

There is a lot of other interesting stuff there and at Ralph's site linked to above as well.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    There's a book, 'Lootens On Photographic Enlarging' which was once a standard reference. Lootens covers flashing and a variety of other techniques.
    I'm sure it would be easy to find a copy on the cheap.
    Dave
    -30-

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Read Tim Rudmans "The Photographer's Master Printing Course".
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    To clarify, there are a couple different meanings of the word "flashing"

Dave referred you to Lootens, who talks about pictorially darkening the edges of the print by holding a card over the print and hitting it with a lot of light (example, 5 seconds of white light from a 7 watt bulb) as you move the card like burning. You do this without the negative, so the effect darkens distracting backgrounds. In one of Lootens examples, the straight print clearly shows the support structure of the backdrop. After flashing the subject is silhouetted with a dark clean background.

The other definition of "flashing" is fogging exposure which brings the whole sheet of paper up to the threshold of turning gray but still remains white. This is a dim or short exposure to light over the whole sheet, and it helps print detail in highlights that might otherwise be blocked. This is the kind of flashing Doremus Scudder was talking about in reference to the Les McClean site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trotkiller View Post
    I strongly recommend purchasing Way Beyond Monochrome http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

One of the authors, Ralph, is an active member here (Not sure about Chris).

It is the best modern text on monochrome printing by far
    [/url]
    Thank you for the tip, they just sold another book, thanks to you ^^ Ordered one from Amazon
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are also a great many masking techniques that can be used, beside the common unsharp mask. Several of these parallel motion picture special effects masks, but others are quite unique to still photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 for Lootens. He recommends a small bulb that you wrap with tape to dim output with testing to get a comfortable flashing brightness. I use one from a night light with a flickable on off. As well as varying repetitive movement of a blocking card. It's illustrated with images in his book.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think this kid might be thinking about photograms. I have some orchid photograms in my gallery, see if that's what you are talking bout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin