Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,255   Online: 1040

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Good info on HC-110 (dilutions, etc) here: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/ though note the disclaimer that it's no longer being updated. Unfortunately, no data for Neopan.
    I know, so all I have is the massive dev chart website.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    If you didn't get enough shadow detail, you did not expose enough.

If contrast was 'out of control' (I interpret this to mean that contrast is much too high), you developed for too long.

Cure: Expose more. Develop less, which is hard to do at Dilution B, which is where Dilution H comes in handy, which is twice the dilution of Dilution B. Similarly, a decent starting point is to double the time of Dilution B, but since you said you have too much contrast, I would reduce that from 10 minutes to 8 minutes, and see if those negatives print better.

Please remember: Developing times on the chemistry boxes are recommendations, not cast in stone and impossible to change. You adjust the exposure and development time to get what prints well in your darkroom, and that is something that every photographer has to learn.
    I'll give a go in my next batch of film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pmargolis View Post
    Neopan 400 in HC110 has been one of my favorite combinations for many years. I usually rate the film at an EI of 320 and develop in the 1:63 dilution -- so-called Dilution H -- of "syrup" to New York City tap water for 10-11 minutes at 70 degrees. That works out to 1/2 ounce of syrup in 32 oz. of water for a 4-reel Nikor stainless steel tank. While other factors may affect your results (local water, agitation, method of pouring developer in/out of tank, for example) you should be in the right general ball park with this procedure. The rest of your processing steps seem fine.
    Good luck, Paul

QUOTE=dreamingartemis;1298973]I know this has been asked but usually the thread devolves into Rodinal, Xtol and some other brand. I've used HCC-110 for HP5+ and it looks okay but when I tried it with Neopan 400 at 5 minutes with Dilution B, it looks like total crap (and this was after I developed 8 rolls with ). Contrast is wildy out of control and the sharpness looks bad along with shadow details.

Though it could be due to my scanner when I prescan to get a feel what the negs would look if I printed them.

Here is a run down of what I used and done

1. Development using HCC-110 at Dilution B (1:7) at 5 minutes 20 celcius
    2. Stop bath with distilled vinegar at 1:9 for one minutes at 20 celcius (cannot find any stop bath indicator here so I improvided)
    3. Ilford rapid fixer at 1:4 for 5 minutes as well, all same temp.

Am I doing something wrong? The negs come out looking rather thick. I have heaps of this film which I managed to buy cheap (because they were on sale and no where near their expiry date yet). I only have HCC-110 for now since I first tried it with my HP5+ and Pan F which works well but I've seen some incredible results by other people with neopan and thought I give it a go...
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks! I didn't know about Dilution H until now, I'll give it a go next! As yes the joys of trial and error

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, it looks like that BUT the bottle instead is totally clear! You can see the color of the liquid and the liquid is rather "liquid" and not honey like at all. I'm right now at work so I'll look again at the label to see if I needed to mix it to 1:3 first! Before mixing it to 1:7! If that is indeed the case then the jokes on me

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I have a feeling that we have a problem with communication here.

To the OP, does your bottle look something like the one pictured here.

In particular, does it indicate that it is to make 2 US Gallons.

If so, then I would be willing to bet that you overlooked the instruction to make a stock solution first, before diluting that stock solution 1 +7 (for dilution B). The stock solution is made up by dumping the entire 16 ounce HC110 bottle into a larger, 64 ounce container and then filling the container with water. That results in an initial dilution of 1 + 3.

If you do the math, it turns out that if you dilute the stock solution 1 + 7, what you end up with is a working solution of 1 + 31, or expressed differently, in 32 parts of working solution, you have one part concentrate, and 31 parts water.

The stock solution method has some advantages (ease of handling, accuracy of measurement), but it only really make sense if you process fairly high volumes of film. Otherwise, the stock solution tends to go bad before you use it up (whereas the concentrate that comes from the manufacturer seems to last forever).

So, as a result, most of us here tend to work straight from the concentrate. We mix a small (around 6-10 ml) of concentrate with the required amount of water, and work from there. We add 31 parts of water to each part of concentrate, and end up with dilution B. As an example, to make 320 ml of working solution, we add 10 ml of concentrate to 310 ml of water.

If you mixed concentrate with water 1 + 7, then:

1) your developer was 4 times regular strength (no wonder your negatives were dense!); and
    2) instead of being reasonable, your per roll cost of using HC110 is very expensive .

Hope this helps!

PS, in case you were wondering where the ratios come from, think of the US system where each quart of liquid is also 32 ounces
    PPS, HC110 dilution H is 1 part concentrate plus 63 parts water.
    PPPS, you have to be very careful with dilution H if you use small tanks - you need a certain minimum amount of concentrate in the tank no matter what the dilution - Kodak's capacity information works out to about 6 ml per roll, although others work with less

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Matt,

This is from the Covington Innovations web site for HC-110 developer:

"Note: In Europe, HC-110 is also sold in 500-mL bottles as a less concentrated syrup which you dilute 1:9 to make dilution B. If you are using that product (Kodak CAT 500 1466), follow the instructions for the European concentrate, not those for the syrup. Although the European type of HC-110 is sold in England, there does not seem to be an English data sheet for it. Full-strength syrup is also sold in Europe so make sure you know which one you have."
    Source: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/index.html

If the OP has the HC-110 of Europe and mixed it 1:7 as opposed to 1:9, the contrast 'out of control' is explained by the higher concentration of developer in the mix.

- Thomas
    Well, I'm not sure how to tell if the possible is the europe version because on the label of the bottle it's indicated that for dilution b, use 1:7. And all the other dilution correspond with the information in the kodak HCC-110 data sheet for working solution......I think the factory here took the concentrate and mixed it to working solution and the sold it in bottles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the major problem here is that I don't know what kind of version of HCC-110 I have here, I'll post a photo of it up later when I get home. Maybe someone then can tell me what going on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamingartemis View Post
    Well, I'm not sure how to tell if the possible is the europe version because on the label of the bottle it's indicated that for dilution b, use 1:7. And all the other dilution correspond with the information in the kodak HCC-110 data sheet for working solution......I think the factory here took the concentrate and mixed it to working solution and the sold it in bottles.
    By working solution I expect you mean stock solution.

And does this more closely resemble the bottle you have?

If so, it is the US dilution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KKHC1102G.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By working solution I expect you mean stock solution.

And does this more closely resemble the bottle you have?

If so, it is the US dilution.
    Yes! You hit paydirt! That is the same bottle! But then why does it indicate 1:7 on the bottle for dilution B?

So does that mean I need to mix it up to 1:3 first before mixing it up to 1:7 or what? I'm getting confused here.......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamingartemis View Post
    Yes! You hit paydirt! That is the same bottle! But then why does it indicate 1:7 on the bottle for dilution B?

So does that mean I need to mix it up to 1:3 first before mixing it up to 1:7 or what? I'm getting confused here.......
    When you look at the text on the label where it says 1:7, does the top of the label include a phrase like "First prepare a stock solution ....?"

I think it most likely does.

If you want to work with an intermediate dilution stock solution it works well, but you will end up wasting some developer unless you procees a lot of film (the stock solution goes bad after a while).

So most of us mix straight from concentrate - 1 part concentrate plus 31 parts water gives you dilution B.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you look at the text on the label where it says 1:7, does the top of the label include a phrase like "First prepare a stock solution ....?"

I think it most likely does.

If you want to work with an intermediate dilution stock solution it works well, but you will end up wasting some developer unless you procees a lot of film (the stock solution goes bad after a while).

So most of us mix straight from concentrate - 1 part concentrate plus 31 parts water gives you dilution B.
    Will check it out later thanks!! Man, that means I have wasted a lot of good rolls!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin