Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,668   Online: 816

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    WPS in a few months may have 250ml of working solutions mixed up - and I presume the same to the stop bath and fixer But i will see how much it cost. I guess like other things here with film, they will charge a pretty penny for it and it would probably be less economical than their OEM packets off the manufacturer which is already 2x or 3x to the USA.

I think it would be $$ and if it is might just get some chemicals from the USA like Ilford which is allowed to be shipped when I buy my film. A powder might be the best for me being 1/4 or 1/5 of liquid developers. For me even with the powder - it would probably expire than me not using it up, hahah. I could buy it when I need to collect my film up ... 3x or 5x with that fration ratio ... so it's the same or more than the the longetivity of liquid developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rayonline_nz View Post
    Thanks, I will have a look at the store tomorrow but won't get the chemicals till I have some b/w put aside for development. If I am picking up a Tetenal C41 Press Kit from the USA, I might be able to get a few items for b/w there as well and take adv of the shipping cost. Ilford are available for shipping but Kodak's stop bath and fixer isn't. Kodak's Photo Flo is in a smaller size, hence cheaper, may get that instead of the Ilfostop.

I am wanting minimal grain and high sharpness with Delta 100 / T-Max 100 and the classic coarse contrast Tri-X 400. What developers do you suggest? Just so I can keep this at the back of my mind ...
    For clarity, Photo Flo is a wetting agent, whereas Ilfostop is a stop bath - not the same. You may have meant Ilfotol though, which is Ilford's version of wetting agent.

In any event, even small bottles of either version of wetting agent will do many rolls of film - you use tiny amounts.

For coarse contrast - Rodinal. You will lose some speed though.

Fine grain and high sharpness - XTol (diluted).

If you are concerned about costs, a bag of X-Tol that makes 5 liters can probably be had for less than $10.00 from the USA - get two!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh yep. I should have worded it better. If I get some chemicals from the USA when I buy my film. I cannot import Kodak's stop bath or the fixer but I can with Ilford - stop bath and fixer. I can import both Ilford and Kodak's wetting agent but Kodak is cheaper at half size so prefer that

I will just see what happens with my lab, they said they would provide 250ml working solutions, but going by how much the OEM bottles/packets cost here already, I imagine - negative economy of scale to kick in.

Cannot get Rodinal.
    I am thinking to get powder cos they cost a lot less and the conc stuff while lets you process a lot more, for my low usage more than half the bottle probably go off, haha (even in its conc state)!
    Probably end up with Tmax 100, Delta 100 and Tri-X. Been considering ID-11 for both films. XTOL may be another if they can get it in. If I remember correctly XTOL is a powder right. I heard John Sexton uses D76. So that might be another option if it's powder. So many to choose.
    Last edited by rayonline_nz; 02-10-2012 at 11:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bet you could import the Kodak powder fixer, but not the Kodak Rapid fixer. And the problem with the Kodak Rapid fixer is most likely not the fixer itself, but rather the highly acidic hardener that Kodak insists needs to be packaged with the fixer.

And I expect that the problem with the stop bath is that the Kodak is more highly concentrated.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin