Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,458   Posts: 1,643,786   Online: 741

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Newbie - how much do I need to process?

I have read a lot about it. I am not in the USA so things can be more expensive here.

Ilfostop and Rapid Fixer runs out to about $35US together.
    A powder developer like Perceptol is $10US that makes 1L undiluted. A liquid developer is about $35US.

As a newbie hobbyist, I only have2 rolls of Ilford HP5+. Of course it's uneconomical to purchase $45-70US of chemicals to process (2) rolls of film.

So how many do you suggest a hobbyist to do? Ie., collect up. Noting that many of them don't even shoot a good few rolls per month. I may run a roll every month or two, if I go on a trip I may shoot more. But I shoot color film as well.

In addition, the Ilford Datasheet notes that chemicals last 6 - 1 months (full bottles - half bottles). The exception being liquid developers may last 36 - 24 months (DD-XX). But given the more expensive cost of liquid developers I may stick with powders and simply collect my film up and develop. Once a year?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd recommend HC-110, or Ilford's counterpart, as your best bet in long-lasting liquid developer. Particularly if you keep it in tightly capped & full bottles (you could transfer it to something smaller as the volume goes down), it should easily last a year, possibly longer.

For fixer, although I think Ilfostop will last a long time, you could eliminate any worry by purchasing hypo in bulk powder form and concoct your own solution. That way you'd only need to make as much liquid as necessary at any given time. The formulas can be very simple, and even adding some extra pizazz shouldn't be too difficult (hardeners for instance). All you need is a good scale and some common sense when it comes to handling chemicals.

Stop-bath (if you even decide to use it) lasts forever, or you can even use vinegar or dilute straight from glacial acetic acid which also lasts forever (I have some that's probably 20 years old... hasn't lost any of its punch!).

Same thing with hypo-clearing agent; mix it up yourself when you need it with some sodium-sulfite and a pinch of sodium-bisulfite.

Assuming you can find a chemical supplier, this might be significantly cheaper and totally worry proof.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What would it cost to have a shop do it? Or how about another forum member? I know that there's film photographers in Wellington.

If I were doing a roll a month, then I'd use HC110, as it lasts for an incredibly long time, and it's not difficult to use. As for fixer, I'd buy it in the 1L packs, and keep it in a glass bottle in the fridge. One fellow reports a 2-year shelf life for Kodak Rapid Fix, but I've had mine go before then! I'm working with some that's four months old, and it's still OK. Basically you can keep using it until it doesn't work any more, whether from age or saturation. If you see something precipitate out, then it's no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yup - Ilford LC29 is -close- to HC-110, comes in 500ML concentrate and will last forever (maybe not as long as Rodinal).

Should be able to pick it up from the supplier I mentioned in your other thread . Seems pretty common here in Aus. Is pricey though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Brian - a lab here does B/w (non C41) for about $9US a roll of 135. Not sure what developer they use. Need to ask about Kodak developers, the stores only list Ilford on the net. Don't think Rodinal would be an option. Yes, we can get LC29 but it's about $35US for the 500ml.

http://www.photo.co.nz/newprods/newchem.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You live in Wellywood so give these guys a try, they have a lab that will do the deed for ya

Wellington Photographic Supplies
    11/15 Vivian Street, Te Aro, Wellington 6001
    (04) 384 3713

Shooter
    35mm
    Maco direct in Germany will wet-ship rodinal, two 500ml bottles will probably make the min international order. Vanbar aus gets rodinal occasionally too. Yeah I agree it's exxpensive. Could just buy packets of d-76, they're usually less than $10 for 3.7 litres.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Brian View Post
    You live in Wellywood so give these guys a try, they have a lab that will do the deed for ya

Wellington Photographic Supplies
    11/15 Vivian Street, Te Aro, Wellington 6001
    (04) 384 3713
    Yep, I know. They are a tad less than the link I posed maybe 10%. NZders tend to be more familiar with the former. On their website anyway. For my low volume, I don't think I would import them. Maybe if I were importing some films from the USA I may get a powder developer and maybe a bottle of liquid if it doesn't tip the shipping fee up a tier.

In the NZ market, I am thinking if powder developer cost 1/5 of liquids I may use that. While liquids may be used in higher dilutions for my low volume I don't think that would be much an issue. I can just purchase (fresh) powder developers more frequently than letting it sit there.

Do you guys think 6 rolls of film for a packet of powder developer okay (6 months)? Stop bath can last 12 months and the fixer 6 months. As per the datasheets.

Getting some prints done at WPS so will have a browse in the weekend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You don't need Ilfostop, just use a couple changes of water. Get a 1L bottle of Rapid Fixer, it'll last for a few years after opening and has enough capacity to do about 100 films. Agree with the suggestions for LC-29 as that seems to be very available (in Australia at least) whereas HC-110 or Rodinal probably require you to make an international purchase. All of those liquid devs will last a year as concentrates (or 20 for Rodinal) after opening if you protect them from oxygen. D76 is cheap and will happily last a year in full bottles after making it up.

If you just want to shoot a bit of B&W and not develop it yourself yet, try XP2+. It's C41 film so can be processed at any 1-hour lab, usually for (much) less than they will charge to process a real B&W film.

Edit: you should be able to buy a 250mL bottle of LC-29, which at 1+19 will make 5L, which is enough for 15 rolls of film. Surely you can shoot 15 rolls in a year or two?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, I will have a look at the store tomorrow but won't get the chemicals till I have some b/w put aside for development. If I am picking up a Tetenal C41 Press Kit from the USA, I might be able to get a few items for b/w there as well and take adv of the shipping cost. Ilford are available for shipping but Kodak's stop bath and fixer isn't. Kodak's Photo Flo is in a smaller size, hence cheaper, may get that instead of the Ilfostop.

I am wanting minimal grain and high sharpness with Delta 100 / T-Max 100 and the classic coarse contrast Tri-X 400. What developers do you suggest? Just so I can keep this at the back of my mind ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin