Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,632   Online: 720

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Is ORWO UN54 the same as Ultrafine Xtreme 100?

I thought it was, based on some chatter on the internet, including IIRC, somebody who "read" the markings on a Ultrafine film can. But APUG'er Aurelien sent me a note asking if I was sure. Hmmmm, truth is, I wasn't sure. So today I bought a 100' roll of UN54 and will shoot it, along with a short roll of Ultrafine Xtreme 100 (which I've been calling UN54), and develop them in the same tank. I intend to avoid DIAFINE for this test, but have on hand Rodinal, HC-110, and some D-76. I'm leaning towards the Rodinal. I will use the same camera, same scene, and, if I do it quick enough, the same lighting.

I sent a note to the ORWO representative asking point blank, "....is UN54 the same as Ultrafine Xtreme 100?". He relayed my query onward to the ORWO headquarters. I doubt I'll get a reply. Do you think if I sent a note to Kodak and asked them "...does Tri-X = Arista Premium 400?", that they would respond?

Any comments on my admittedly amateurish test plan?

Jerry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Jerry;
    They (Ultrafine) cannot comment on the supplier, they might give the region though. Be sure to post your results. Check the edge markings to determine. Thinking of picking some up for myself, Steven.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As it is available in 120 size it is probably not an Orwo film. These are only available in 35mm, it's movie stock film.

I bet it's either Foma or Kentmere.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ...and Kentmere is not available in 120. So...
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jerevan hate to tell you this but Kentmere is availble in 120 under the Rollei name. RPX is supposedly Kentmere. The development times suggests Fomapan.

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, okay, I may be wrong on this one. Move on, nothing to see here...
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey, Jerry, what your conclusions ?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Haven't done any testing yet. I'm totally renovating a bathroom in my house....and the OTHER bathroom (aka, the darkroom) is booked solid for, uhhh, toilet activities. Will keep you posted!
    jerry

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin